Broker development documentation

Mykolas
I am a MSc student at King's College University of London and I am currently working on a project: PowerTAC. The main goal of the project is to develop a broker.

I analysed the information that is currently available on the internet and I understand that PowerTAC is under development. However, I do believe that (initial) documentation for broker developer might already exist. Is it available publicly? Is it possible to get it on request? If it is not possible to get any documentation for broker developers - when is it planned to have one?

By using term 'broker developer documentation' I mean:
 - game protocol description;
 - PowerTAC server interface for brokers description;
 - Demo broker;
 - etc.

Thank you for help,
Mykolas
Mykolas Molis
MSc Student at King's College London

RE: Broker development documentation

Hi Mykolas,

Thanks much for your interest in Power TAC! We are heavily working on the first version of the server and game specification, and expect to release them by mid April. This will also entail a demo broker. If you like, of course, you can get at any time the current version from github (https://github.com/powertac/), but this is not fully functional yet.

In due time we’ll send out information via this mailing list.

Best,

Wolf

[...]

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Broker-development-documentation-tp2673357p2673357.html

Disclaimer
De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer.

The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Re: Broker development documentation

Mykolas
I found that the specification is going to be ready by the end of March 2011. I hope the date is not going to change :)
Mykolas Molis
MSc Student at King's College London

Re: Broker development documentation

Mykolas
This post was updated on .
I found that PowerTAC Client tutorial is going to be posted in this page soon: https://github.com/powertac/agent-framework/wiki.
Mykolas Molis
MSc Student at King's College London

RE: Broker development documentation

Yes, we are aiming for this, but mid April is on the safe side.

Best,

Wolf

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Broker-development-documentation-tp2673357p2682372.html

I found that there is going to be created another subproject used by participants as a foundation for their broker designs: https://github.com/powertac/agent-framework/wiki.
Mykolas Molis
MSc Student at King's College London

Re: Broker development documentation

Mykolas wrote
I found that there is going to be created another subproject used by participants as a foundation for their broker designs: https://github.com/powertac/agent-framework/wiki.
I'm not sure where you found that reference, but we are building two versions of the agent framework, one in Grails (powertac/powertac-demo-agent-grails) and one in Repast Simphony (powertac/powertac-demo-agent-grails). The grails version is under development right now. We have a prototype of the Repast agent, but nobody has had time to work on it for a while. It should be relatively easy to build a plain-Java framework also, since all the message traffic is over Apache MQ with simple xml serialization. The principal components of the framework would include login, time synchronization, and message exchange. I believe the Grails version already has these features implemented.

We are working hard to get a basic server and agent framework ready to work with in the next week or two. We will let you know. You are, of course, welcome to set up a development environment and start working with it now (see https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/wiki/Getting-started), but the trading portion is not really tested yet, and we are still working on initial configuration and how to communicate config info to agents.

Cheers

Re: Broker development documentation

Mykolas
Dear John,

thank you for you reply - I am now going to work on my own broker. I am going to check the DEMO agent implemented in Grails (powertac/powertac-demo-agent-grails).

I found the following link (that is not working) in the https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/wiki page under the "broker framework" link. Could you check if the link could be fixed, please?

Since Power TAC broker is the aim of my project, I wrote a preliminary report for my university which includes some research work on main broker actions and their specification. Since there is no current unified broker specification at the moment (at least I did not find it) I attached a report and would be very happy to receive any feedback on my understanding about the Broker. I also hope that the document is going to be beneficial to Power TAC developers team as I consider it as an Broker developer's understanding example on how to build an agent suitable for the competition.

preliminary_project_report.pdf

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Mykolas
Mykolas Molis
MSc Student at King's College London

Re: Broker development documentation

Mykolas wrote
I found the following link (that is not working) in the https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/wiki page under the "broker framework" link. Could you check if the link could be fixed, please?
I'm afraid that link was left over from an early idea about how we would organize the project. We decided to just keep two wikis, one for developers on github, and one for participants at Rotterdam. The participant's wiki is short of content because all our resources have gone into development, which has taken longer than we anticipated.
Mykolas wrote
Since Power TAC broker is the aim of my project, I wrote a preliminary report for my university which includes some research work on main broker actions and their specification. Since there is no current unified broker specification at the moment (at least I did not find it) I attached a report and would be very happy to receive any feedback on my understanding about the Broker. I also hope that the document is going to be beneficial to Power TAC developers team as I consider it as an Broker developer's understanding example on how to build an agent suitable for the competition.
We will certainly do all we can to help. I have a student, Nguyen Nguyen, who is developing exactly the documentation you are looking for as part of his Masters degree. I'll ask him to contact you; it would be good to have someone outside the development group to help us evaluate scope and content.

Best of luck to you.

John Collins

Re: Broker development documentation

Mykolas