Broker server communication

Douglas
I'm a student from University of Southampton, at the beginning of this week my set up stopped working.
Now, even when I freshly download the server at http://www.powertac.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started#Power_TAC_server_version_0.5.1.2C_7_May_2012 and the broker at https://github.com/powertac/sample-broker/downloads and following the instructions there it does not work.

When running mvn install both successfully build and both run (mvn exec:exec and mvn -Pweb), the bootstrap data file generates, the name specified for the broker (Sample) matches in the broker's config file and the name I enter into the server's control page.

Upon running, they both just sit there and do nothing - the broker outputs "Starting session 1" and the server outputs "bootstrap-datanullnullnull[Sample]". The game does not start.

How do I go about obtaining an working copy? And once done, how do I stop the copy I have from updating and stopping working again?

Re: Broker server communication

Douglas -

There has been a major change in the way brokers interact with the server, and with the tournament manager. You should only see this, of course, if you are pulling down changes from github. The new scheme is documented on the GitHub wiki. We are very close to a full release of both the broker and the simulation server; only a couple of issues and some testing remain.

Douglas wrote
I'm a student from University of Southampton, at the beginning of this week my set up stopped working.
Now, even when I freshly download the server at http://www.powertac.org/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started#Power_TAC_server_version_0.5.1.2C_7_May_2012 and the broker at https://github.com/powertac/sample-broker/downloads and following the instructions there it does not work.

When running mvn install both successfully build and both run (mvn exec:exec and mvn -Pweb), the bootstrap data file generates, the name specified for the broker (Sample) matches in the broker's config file and the name I enter into the server's control page.
In order to run the system from the latest code on Github, you need to do mvn install on all the components in your own environment. This includes the common module, which is normally pulled down from either the maven central repo or the Sonatype snapshot repo. I have purposely not deployed the updated common module (or any other modules) to the snapshot repo because it would cause everyone's system to stop working. Instructions for doing the install are at the bottom of the Getting Started page in the GitHub wiki. I am running the server and sample broker on a regular basis to make sure it's working, so it should work for you. Keep in mind that there have been a great many changes pushed to GitHub in the last week, and that there was a time on Tuesday/Wednesday when there was an inconsistency. So you may need to do another full update.
Upon running, they both just sit there and do nothing - the broker outputs "Starting session 1" and the server outputs "bootstrap-datanullnullnull[Sample]". The game does not start.
If you do an update and full install and still get this, please let me know exactly when and where you see this output. This message is not familiar to me.

Please let me know if this is not sufficiently helpful.

Re: Broker server communication

Sachi
Hi douglas,

this is the same output I got. Please let me know, if you get a working copy.

Re: Broker server communication

Douglas
I have followed your instructions and got a full copy of both the server and the broker, both of which appear to be working independently. I also installed the visualiser and it works too.

My problem now is that the broker repeatedly times out trying to connect to the tournament scheduler at http://192.168.3.101:8080, from which it gets no reply. I'm not running anything at that address, as I'm running the server on my own machine.

I don't think I downloaded the tournament scheduler, do I need to install it? Can I use some workaround as I'm not intending to run a tournament?

Re: Broker server communication

Douglas wrote
My problem now is that the broker repeatedly times out trying to connect to the tournament scheduler at http://192.168.3.101:8080, from which it gets no reply. I'm not running anything at that address, as I'm running the server on my own machine.
This is most likely because your broker.properties file contains a tourneyUrl. That's my fault, since I was working on the interaction between the broker and tournament scheduler when I last committed, and this url is the one for my home desktop. Just comment it out and this problem should go away. I'll try to remember to deliver the release version with that line commented out, but you have to fill it in to work with a tournament manager.

Re: Broker server communication

Douglas
It's working great now, thanks.