Capacity Charges

russell
Hello all,

I am looking into trying to predict and compensate for the capacity charges. In doing so I have been analyzing CapacityTransaction messages thinking that I could see patterns and use them to predict future overages. However, I have noticed an interesting trend... I receive 3 messages a week, out of order generally. Are these correlated at all with actual peaks? I originally assumed that I would either get one message per period which is my understanding of the documentation, or ideally a message per post peak period. What would be the cause for the three messages?

Re: Capacity Charges

Hello, Russell -
russell wrote
I am looking into trying to predict and compensate for the capacity charges. In doing so I have been analyzing CapacityTransaction messages thinking that I could see patterns and use them to predict future overages. However, I have noticed an interesting trend... I receive 3 messages a week, out of order generally. Are these correlated at all with actual peaks? I originally assumed that I would either get one message per period which is my understanding of the documentation, or ideally a message per post peak period. What would be the cause for the three messages?
The typical behavior (dependent on configuration and on net consumption patterns) is that at the conclusion of each assessment interval (typically one week), the three highest peaks are found, and a CapacityTransaction is issued to each broker for each of them. These should all arrive in the same timeslot, but they are not necessarily sorted by the time of the peak; more likely they would be sorted by the magnitude of the peak. There can be fewer than three CapacityTransaction messages in the case that fewer than three peak events (over the threshold) were detected over the assessment interval. Looking at the code, it appears that brokers with zero or negative net consumption at the time of a peak event should see CapacityTransaction messages with zero or negative charges.