Capacity Transaction Factors

susobhang70
Hi,

I was looking at the 2018 Specification and I had a few questions about the Capacity Transaction Factors:

a) It takes into account n_peak highest demand events. What is the value of n_peak? It is not specified in the Table in Section 8.1 of the 2018 Specification, nor can I find it in the Competition object that is transmitted at the start of the simulation. I can make out the value was 3 in trials, but is this subject to change across games?

b) It mentions that the Peak demand threshold coefficient is fixed for any given tournament - it is specified to lie between 1.0 and 2.0. So, if I'm getting this correct - this doesn't change across games in a tournament?

c) In continuation to (b), is this value accessible by the brokers using some existing method? If not, I'd like to know why, as one can wait for a week and since net demand values are made public, calculate the mean and std deviation, and find this value from the threshold value. And this value will be same across the games for the tournament if (b) is true.

d) The specification table suggests the peak demand charge to be 100-1000 per point, yet I see that it has consistently been 18/KwH through the trials. Is this value subject to change across games? If not, do I take this as a constant for the tournament, or how can my broker get it when the simulation begins without waiting for a week and calculating it on its own?

Regards,
Susobhan

Re: Capacity Transaction Factors

Hello, Susobhan
susobhang70 wrote
I was looking at the 2018 Specification and I had a few questions about the Capacity Transaction Factors:

a) It takes into account n_peak highest demand events. What is the value of n_peak? It is not specified in the Table in Section 8.1 of the 2018 Specification, nor can I find it in the Competition object that is transmitted at the start of the simulation. I can make out the value was 3 in trials, but is this subject to change across games?
The value of n_peak is 3. It is not currently subject to change. I apologize for not including it in the table. Your broker can see it in the <properties> clause as
<property name="distributionutility.distributionUtilityService.assessmentCount" value="3"/>

b) It mentions that the Peak demand threshold coefficient is fixed for any given tournament - it is specified to lie between 1.0 and 2.0. So, if I'm getting this correct - this doesn't change across games in a tournament?

c) In continuation to (b), is this value accessible by the brokers using some existing method? If not, I'd like to know why, as one can wait for a week and since net demand values are made public, calculate the mean and std deviation, and find this value from the threshold value. And this value will be same across the games for the tournament if (b) is true.
This value is configured, not computed, and it will not change during a tournament. You should be able to find it in the <properties> clause sent to your broker at the start of a game as
<property name="distributionutility.distributionUtilityService.stdCoefficient" value="1.2"/>

d) The specification table suggests the peak demand charge to be 100-1000 per point, yet I see that it has consistently been 18/KwH through the trials. Is this value subject to change across games? If not, do I take this as a constant for the tournament, or how can my broker get it when the simulation begins without waiting for a week and calculating it on its own?
Yes, we did some analysis after the spec was written and decided to use a much smaller value. It's communicated to brokers in the <properties> clause as
<property name="distributionutility.distributionUtilityService.feePerPoint" value="-18.0"/>

Re: Capacity Transaction Factors

susobhang70
That definitely helps. Thank you!

Susobhan