Changing parameters of default broker

FH

Changing parameters of default broker

FH
Hi all,

I wanted to adapt the default broker's parameters (like the default consumption tariff), so I changed the repective values under config/server.properties in the server distribution.
Unfortunately, it seems as if the new values are ignored. Is there some other place where I can change the parameters?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Fabian

Re: Changing parameters of default broker

Helo, Fabian and all -
FH wrote
I wanted to adapt the default broker's parameters (like the default consumption tariff), so I changed the repective values under config/server.properties in the server distribution.
Unfortunately, it seems as if the new values are ignored. Is there some other place where I can change the parameters?
I have not tried to change default broker values by changing server.properties, but it should work if you re-build the server after editing the file. This is necessary because the config file gets baked into the jar file. However, the recommended way to set properties is to specify a config file on the command line or the "games" setup screen in server-distribution. No need to modify and re-build the server. If you want to use the visualizer to run games (mvn -Pweb2), you will need to "import" any config files you want to use into your user space (files/admin/config unless you explicitly set up another user profile).

FH

I have found the place in the games tab, thanks!
FH

Re: Changing parameters of default broker

FH
Hi, maybe I have found some bugs: 1. During multiple games it happened that the sample broker crashed without a particular error message. It can be observed by its subscribers, switching back to the default broker:

Blue is the default, black the sample broker. It also seems as if the sample broker's subscriptions do not get updated anymore after the crash. 2. I changed the default broker's parameters as follows:

However there are still several consumers that subscribe to the default instead of the sample broker (about 700; can also be observed in teh first image). How is that possible with such a tariff? Can someone tell me whether there is really any bug or whether I made some mistakes? Best regards, Fabian

Re: Changing parameters of default broker

Hello, Fabian and all -
FH wrote
maybe I have found some bugs:

During multiple games it happened that the sample broker crashed without a particular error message. It can be observed by its subscribers, switching back to the default broker

However there are still several consumers that subscribe to the default instead of the sample broker (about 700; can also be observed in teh first image). How is that possible with such a tariff?

Can someone tell me whether there is really any bug or whether I made some mistakes?
I tried the same setup and the sample broker did not crash. In fact, I've run it over and over today without error. I would be interested to know what's happening for you.. First, look for the string ERROR in the broker's trace log (should be in sample-broker/log/broker1.trace). Also, look at the last few lines in the broker's trace log. If the problem is still around, you could let us know what you see.

Your tariffs have very large negative values for consumption, and very large positive values for production. As a result, energy consumers should switch away from their default tariffs at the earliest opportunity, while produces will continue to find the default tariffs very attractive. These would be the solar and wind customers, and there are about 7035 of them.

I did discover a bug, Issue #968, for which I am grateful. It is now fixed, but it was a regression and so I've left it open until a new test is added. The result is that under your test the default broker still keeps all the producers, but after the sample broker gets all the consumer subscriptions, the default broker has to pay its extreme rate for all the kWh produced by the solar and wind customers. It quickly goes deeply into the hole.

In the end, I am not sure of the value of this test. The default broker is part of the simulation environment, and its tariffs are supposed to be relatively unattractive, for both consumers and producers. The tariffs of the default broker are used as the baseline for the tariff evaluator, and by setting these extreme values as the baseline, the evaluations for competing tariffs get squeezed into a tiny corner, so they don't make much sense.

I have done a fresh deploy with the fix for #968. Thanks again for helping me spot it.

John
FH

Re: Changing parameters of default broker

FH
Hi,

I was able to find the error in the last few lines of the mentioned file:
<ts-done timeslotIndex="1039"/>
6564162 WARN  core.PowerTacBroker: worker thread waited more than 120 secs for server, abandoning game
6564162 INFO  core.PowerTacBroker: worker thread exits at ts 1039

Re: Changing parameters of default broker

FH wrote
I was able to find the error in the last few lines of the mentioned file:
<ts-done timeslotIndex="1039"/>
6564162 WARN  core.PowerTacBroker: worker thread waited more than 120 secs for server, abandoning game
6564162 INFO  core.PowerTacBroker: worker thread exits at ts 1039
This probably means the server stalled for more than 5 sec at that point. This can happen if your machine is overloaded, and the server doesn't get control of a CPU for more than 5 sec. If that's the case, you should be able to see it in the server log (either log) at the point where the broker quit. The left-hand column in both the trace and state logs is the process time in msec. If the server got stalled, you would see a gap of several thousand msec.

John
FH

Re: Changing parameters of default broker

FH
Alright, thanks!