Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

We need a clear policy on file headers, including copyright notices and license notices, and we need to make sure the NOTICE files specified by the Apache License (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0) are included at the top level in each major system element. I believe those would correspond to the git repositories. An example of a NOTICE file is at http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt.

My suggestion would be that in each NOTICE file, we list the institutions, and the people within those institutions, who have made non-trivial contributions to the contents of that particular element. Keep in mind that the license requires that these NOTICE files or their contents must be included in any derivative works. This is the "attribution" part of the Apache license, which is otherwise pretty much open.

Re: Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

ddauer
I added a LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt file to the root directory of the server distribution. You can now start listing institutions in the file.

- David

RE: Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

Thanks much David!

I added a LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt file to the root directory of the server distribution. You can now start listing institutions in the file.

- David

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Copyright-notices-license-notices-and-NOTICE-files-tp1958201p1976929.html

Disclaimer
De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer.

The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Re: Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

Carsten Block
Hi!

Good point John. IntelliJ comes with a nice automated copyright plugin, that lets you automatically add a correctly formatted copyright header to each file. Probably, for STS / Eclipse something similar exists too. Borrowing from the sprinsource "sources" I I suggest that we take over their approach. They use the following header in each an every file (in addition to a LICENSE and NOTICE file):

/*
 * Copyright 2002-2010 the original author or authors.
 *
 *
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

With the generic reference to "the original author or authors" in the header, we can then also add a java doc header to each file where we can use the @author tag to make clear who the author(s) of the respective class is / are. See example below.

/**
 * Command object that represents tariff data
 * to be exchanged between Power TAC brokers and
 * customers. Once created the properties of this
 * class are immutable.
 *
 * @author Carsten Block
 * @version 1.0, Date: 01.12.10
 */

With the license header as well as a class level java doc comment automatically being generated (and populated with the respective author's name(s)) it is probably the least intrusive approach on the one hand and the most "precise" in terms of who exactly did what on the other. And whenever somebody else makes a significant edit in a file (something other than reformatting), he simply adds his name to the author list in the header.

Cheers,
Carsten

Am 24.11.2010 um 03:27 schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:

We need a clear policy on file headers, including copyright notices and license notices, and we need to make sure the NOTICE files specified by the Apache License (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0) are included at the top level in each major system element. I believe those would correspond to the git repositories. An example of a NOTICE file is at http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt.

My suggestion would be that in each NOTICE file, we list the institutions, and the people within those institutions, who have made non-trivial contributions to the contents of that particular element. Keep in mind that the license requires that these NOTICE files or their contents must be included in any derivative works. This is the "attribution" part of the Apache license, which is otherwise pretty much open.

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Copyright-notices-license-notices-and-NOTICE-files-tp1958201p1958201.html

Out of Office AutoReply: Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

Out of Office AutoReply: Copyright notices, license notices, and NOTICE files

Hello,

I'm currently out of the office, since I'm attending a training programme. I'll be back in the office on Monday, 6 December 2010.  Until then I will read my mail only sporadically or not at all. Your mail is not forwarded. If you need immediate assistance please contact Cheryl Eiting ([hidden email]). If it requires a reply, I will do so after I return to the office.

Best,

Wolf Ketter