Customers in PowerTAC

moe

Customers in PowerTAC

moe
Hi everyone,

after we read the specifiaction and as we are developing our broker a few questions arose regarding customers and how to price them.

1a. We offer a tariff on the market and every customer with the respective PowerType is able to sign it, in case we would like to, we can't deny the signup of one specific contract, correct? In other words the only way to offer a tariff to a specific target group is by setting the respective powertype and eventually other specifications like time of use, tiers, etc. which they might prefer or rather accept?

1b. That also means we cannot supersede a tariff for one specific contract/customer, but we must adjust the tariff for everyone who is subsribred to it in that timeslot?

2. There is no way to charge a customer an extra fee e. g. for caused variance/peaks etc. besides superseding the whole tariff to everyone who is subscribed?

3. Besides the fact that customers can produce and consume at the same time, do customers switch the power type they need/use? So is it possible that a customer who is listed as Consumption in the boot file switches to an interruptible tariff as it is more attractive for him or is the distribution of powertypes fixed per simulation/boot?

Thanks and Regards
moe

Re: Customers in PowerTAC

Hello, Moe and all -
moe wrote
... a few questions arose regarding customers and how to price them.

1a. We offer a tariff on the market and every customer with the respective PowerType is able to sign it, in case we would like to, we can't deny the signup of one specific contract, correct? In other words the only way to offer a tariff to a specific target group is by setting the respective powertype and eventually other specifications like time of use, tiers, etc. which they might prefer or rather accept?
There is currently no way for a broker to communicate directly with individual customer models, and no way to reject a signup.
1b. That also means we cannot supersede a tariff for one specific contract/customer, but we must adjust the tariff for everyone who is subscribed to it in that timeslot?
That is correct.
2. There is no way to charge a customer an extra fee e. g. for caused variance/peaks etc. besides superseding the whole tariff to everyone who is subscribed?
I am not sure I understand this question exactly. We have been thinking about how a broker might be able to charge for capacity as opposed to just charging for energy, especially since brokers themselves are now being charged for their contributions to peak capacity -- see Issue #841 for a bit of background. Tiered rates don't really solve this problem, because they only let you charge for demand above some absolute level, not demand that is more variable nor demand that peaks at the same time as overall demand peaks, which is what brokers pay for.
3. Besides the fact that customers can produce and consume at the same time, do customers switch the power type they need/use? So is it possible that a customer who is listed as Consumption in the boot file switches to an interruptible tariff as it is more attractive for him or is the distribution of powertypes fixed per simulation/boot?
Actually, a customer with two PowerTypes acts more like two customers, and tariffs cannot combine two PowerTypes. Currently there is no interaction between the two tariffs for customer model that supports multiple PowerTypes. This is another issue we've given some thought to, but we would be very interested in ideas for how it should work, both for the customer and for the broker. One consequence of this disconnect is that policies like net metering cannot currently be implemented.