Extra qualifying round

Dear all,

After our software server update, we are offering you an extra qualifying round. It will start this Wednesday at 09:00 UTC (11:00 Rotterdam). During the tournament you will need to have 2 (identical) broker instances running. Please register at:

http://ts.powertac.org:8080/TournamentScheduler/faces/tournament.xhtml?tournamentId=2

As always, please let us know, if you encounter any problems, have any other concerns or questions.

Best of success!

Re: Extra qualifying round

I would like to add a little detail to Wolf’s message about the trial tournament round starting on Wednesday 1 June. First, this is another “qualifying” round, and so the rule about not modifying your agents during the round does not apply. That rule will apply during the final round starting on 22 June. Second, as you prepare your brokers for the upcoming rounds, please keep in mind that there is another potential issue related to wholesale-market trading that (at least for now) can only be managed by the competing brokers. If a broker with few or no tariff customers builds up a dominant (not necessarily monopolistic) share in the wholesale market, it can go into balancing with a heavy positive imbalance, while forcing the overall market into a large negative imbalance. This can pay off handsomely, and can be very costly for the competing agents, but probably only in timeslots with high demand and low solar production. Competitors can prevent this by making sure they have purchased sufficient energy for their customers.

Remember that you need not set extravagantly high bid prices to ensure you will get your commitments - rather, you can make use of “market orders” with null prices, which always sort ahead of any priced orders in the clearing process. Market orders do not necessarily mean higher prices; with the recent change in the calculation of clearing price, you will never see prices higher than 105% of the price on the last cleared ask.

Good luck! I look forward to watching your games.

Re: Extra qualifying round

Ansel
Hi colleagues,

I received the following email. Please, can you (Wolf) tell us about this.

---------------------------
"Dear Power TAC 2016 competitors,
There is an interesting month ahead of us: pre-qualifications are already finalized, qualifications running just now and finishing rounds still ahead.
However, in order to organize all logistics around the competition it is important that you implement all the administrative steps as well. Thank you for registering at the dedicated Power TAC website (http://goo.gl/Zlnq7e), but I would kindly ask you to register at the official TAC 2016 website as well: https://goo.gl/nlDeMP. Please register not later than June 10 because you will not be able to enter finishing rounds without being registered at the TAC 2016 site as well.
More details about registration and whether you qualify for registration waiver you can find in the attached CFP (you still need to register if you qualify for the waiver, but in that case you don’t have to pay a registration fee). If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Vedran, TAC 2016 General Chair

Re: Extra qualifying round

Hello all,

Just to clarify, all teams that make it into the finals, have also to register at the official TAC 2016 website as well: https://goo.gl/nlDeMP. If one of your team mates are present at the TADA workshop, then the fee will be waived.

Best,