Feedback needed: planning the 2020 Power TAC tournament

Feedback needed: planning the 2020 Power TAC tournament

As we all know, events scheduled for the coming summer are in flux due to the coronavirus crisis. The original schedule for the 2020 Power TAC tournament was to run it in early to middle July, ahead of the PASS workshop in Cologne 23-24 July. At this point, we are not confident that the PASS workshop can happen, at least not in person in Cologne, and we are concerned about the ability of teams to finish and run their brokers on time.

Some of the problems we may need to work around include
Do teams need on-site access to University labs to run their agents, or will remote access be adequate? How many have sufficient compute and internet bandwidth to run multiple brokers in your homes?
Are team members able to manage the necessary collaborations to finish their brokers?
Are all team members still available? Do your teams include undergrads or MS students who are now unable to participate? Are some students graduating or moving on after July?

Given the uncertainty facing us, we suggest moving the tournament back to late October or November. The PASS workshop could then be run as a series of web seminars over a week or two in November.

We need your input. Does this change help you or not? Please respond with your preferences and suggestions.

Thanks for your help, and please stay healthy and productive.

John and Wolf

Re: Feedback needed: planning the 2020 Power TAC tournament

serkan
Dear John,

For a long while, I don't have a dedicated server at the university. This year I have to run my instances from somewhere else. Here are the options:

- I can run them at home. I have a workstation along with a high hardware capacity. However, this option is not reliable due to connectivity issues or my son's counter-attacks (he is crazy in these days).
- I can give you my executable version of AgentUDE, and you run in your servers (I assume you have).
- You can postpone the tournament (maybe PASS as well) by 3-4 months.

I think the third option would be a better choice.

Best regards,
Serkan

Re: Feedback needed: planning the 2020 Power TAC tournament

Porag
Dear John,

I run my brokers in my university's dedicated servers. In previous, I tried to participate from home, but couldn't continue because of intermittent internet connectivity issues. And in this pandemic, I cannot go to my lab. I like the third proposal of Serkan i.e., postpone the tournament (maybe PASS as well) by 3-4 months if possible.

Best regards,
Porag