Final Round

12

Final Round

achryso
Hello there.

Our agents (Mertacor) were successfully logged in and started playing for the tournament.

The problem is that in both games we are playing with the Default Broker... In one of the games (1263), we are able to see the visualizer and the game has only the aforementioned brokers (Mertacor, Default).

Would you be as kind as to tell us what is going on??

Thank you in advance.

Antonios.

Re: Final Round

On 06/04/2012 01:20 AM, achryso [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:

> Hello there.
>
> Our agents (Mertacor) were successfully logged in and started playing
> for the tournament.
>
> The problem is that in both games we are playing with the Default
> Broker... In one of the games (1263), we are able to see the visualizer
> and the game has only the aforementioned brokers (Mertacor, Default).
>
> Would you be as kind as to tell us what is going on??

I assume this means that the competing agents did not start on time.
According to the log in 1263, only Mertacor has tried to log in so far.

Here in Valencia, we woke up to find the hotel internet down, so anyone
who planned to start an agent from the hotel this morning was unable. I
hope they are able to start by the time the next games start.

John

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Antonios.

> <
> NAML
> <
http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Final Round

onarheim
Hello Antonios,

I think your agent is misconfigured, I'm looking at the sim logs for game 1265.

CrocodileAgent was able to log in correctly but I'm seeing the following message from Mertacor's login attempts to the sim:

<broker-authentication username="config/sim-sample.txt" password="secret" queueName="config/sim-sample.txt.1tqd49fun"/>
3260594 INFO  server.CompetitionControlService: receiveMessage(BrokerAuthentication) config/sim-sample.txt, config/sim-sample.txt.1tqd49fun
3260594 INFO  server.CompetitionControlService: Unauthorized attempt to log in config/sim-sample.txt

The username should be the username in your broker properties file.

Let me know if you need additional assistance to resolve your configurations.

Cheers,

Erik Onarheim

Re: Final Round

achryso
Hello there. In the visualizer of game 1263 I see this

http://tac03.cs.umn.edu:8080/viz10/app/gameoverview?execution=e9s1

and in 1265

http://tac16.cs.umn.edu:8080/viz13/app/gameoverview?execution=e6s1

In both of these my broker is logged in and playing.

In the first one is only me, in the second is Crocodile Agent, my broker and default broker.

You see something different??

Also this is my configuration file.

# If you want to modify any of these parameters, simply uncomment the
# relevant line and adjust the value.

######
samplebroker.core.powerTacBroker.username = Mertacor
samplebroker.core.powerTacBroker.password = cranberries

samplebroker.core.powerTacBroker.tourneyName = PowerTAC_2012_finals
samplebroker.core.powerTacBroker.tourneyUrl = http://tac01.cs.umn.edu:8080/TournamentScheduler/faces/brokerLogin.jsp
samplebroker.core.powerTacBroker.authToken = %#%$#%$#%#$%#$%$#%#$%#$#
samplebroker.core.brokerTournamentService.responseType = xml

and I am running from the STS.

Re: Final Round

onarheim
Sorry Antonios,

You are right, you are logged in properly.

Please forgive the false alarm.

Cheers,

Erik

Re: Final Round

oliparson
Hi John,

I'm having trouble getting hold of the logs from the first two games (1261 and 1262). The server keeps giving the error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report

message

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Java heap space
        javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:221)
        org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter.doFilter(ExtensionsFilter.java:357)
root cause

note The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the Apache Tomcat/7.0.27 logs.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.27

I'm guessing these two log files are just too big. Have you had any luck?

Thanks,
Oli

Re: Final Round

oliparson wrote
I'm having trouble getting hold of the logs from the first two games (1261 and 1262). The server keeps giving the error:
I am having trouble with the internet connection in the venue. I'll look into this as soon as I can get my vpn working again.

Re: Final Round

oliparson
Hi all,

I'm not sure what's happened to the tournament scheduler. At the moment, it says the only game in progress is game 1268, but our broker played in this game and received the simEnd message a while ago. Since then, neither of our brokers have been assigned any games, and have just been polling the scheduler every 20 seconds.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Oli

Re: Final Round

I am painfully aware of the problem, and trying to contact Erik.

Game 1268 is wedged - it appears that several agents were given credentials for that game well after it started, and their attempts to create queues and log in have broken the game - it seems that the server is getting confused about which queue to use when there are multiple queues for the same agent. This started at the beginning of timeslot 622.

But the deeper problem is that the tournament schedule is not scheduling games. I have finally gotten a connection that's stable enough to tunnel into the server logs, so I'll see what I can see until Erik shows up.

Re: Final Round

I think we need to re-think the interactions between broker and server, and between visualizer and server. These seem to be real weak links. Neither system is working well, and the servers appear to get confused when extra queues are created. One possible principle is that the server should create and manage all its queues. Another is that the marshaling and unmarshaling of xml messages between server and visualizer appears to be causing the visualizer to fall behind and get confused.

Thoughts and ideas would be very welcome.

Re: Final Round

We are going to re-start the tournament from its current state in about 15 minutes.

Vedran suggests that we study and fix a few critical issues and then run another 2-day tournament next week. Is anyone definitely interested, or definitely not interested in this idea? Other thoughts or suggestions?

Re: Final Round

jurica.babic
The CrocodileAgent team (from Zagreb) would be interested in 2-day tournament next week.

Cheers,
Jurica

Re: Final Round

Rodrig

I just miss the start of the current games. I did not expect it to re-start so early. Is it going to influence my game results?

I would prefer to continue with the tournament.

Thanks a lot for making the tournament possible despite all the difficulties.

Rodrigue

Re: Final Round

achryso
The Mertacor team from AUTH (Thessaloniki) would be interested in 2-day tournament next week.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Antonios.

Re: Final Round

markus
The Erasmus team is definitely interested.

Cheers,

Markus

Re: Final Round

Il-Chul Moon

KAIST Team will attend the tournament next week if there is one.

Thanks,

Il-Chul

Re: Final Round

oliparson
Hi John,

The Southampton team is definitely interested in a reschedule of the tournament.

However, we worry that holding it in a week's time simply isn't long enough. Ideally, we'd prefer a full server release at least a week before the competition. This would allow each team to have a fair amount of time to test their brokers against the version of the server that will be used in the competition. I think if you re-schedule the tournament for this time next week, we might end up in the same situation we've had so far, in which the server changes constantly until the day of the tournament.

I think PowerTAC is a really promising game and poses some genuinely interesting research problems, and it would be a real shame to rush the competition before it's ready!

Thanks,
Oli

Re: Final Round

moody
Hi John,

In addition to Oli's reply, My two cents are that we really need a full stable server to test out all aspects of our strategies. Also, I'd like to point that there seem to be either some problem with the way cash for brokers is handled or there is an exploit somewhere in that allowed a broker to earn staggering amount of money during a game today. We all (the Powertac dev team and participants) have been working really hard and it would be already and it would be nice to just step back for a moment, fix these issues and let others test their brokers to a satisfactory limit. It would also help you all to focus on the conference rather than just rushing towards fixing it.

We all have  devoted a good deal of time and efforts into PowerTAC already and I really think PowerTAC competition will be a genuine contribution to the real systems provided we allow ourselves a realistic and convenient timeframe.

Cheers,
Moody

Re: Final Round

moody wrote
Hi John,

In addition to Oli's reply, My two cents are that we really need a full stable server to test out all aspects of our strategies.
Thanks for the feedback. We are discussing this seriously, working up a target date to get a full release out of the tournament infrastructure, as well as fixing some of the data issues. I would definitely feel better running a real tournament after a full release and at least 4-6 weeks of general availability before trying to run a formal tournament again.

Doing a large, complex project under a hard deadline with part-time volunteers has been a real challenge. But we should be able to make a release in a few weeks. More soon, after we have enumerated the issues and talked through the commitments we need to make.

Re: Final Round

Il-Chul Moon

While we are talking about the additional rounds for the final, I am curious about the schedule today. I am sitting at TAC competition place, and SCM and AA finals are on-going...

Are we going to run at least few game runs for the final today?

Thanks,

Il-Chul

12