Finding dependencies

One downside of managing the Power TAC project as a large number of separate plugins is that it's hard to find dependencies. For example, I want to refactor one of the enumerations in powertac-common, but it seems the only way to find out where it's used is to check out all the various components and search them all. I don't see any alternative. Am I missing something?

Re: Finding dependencies

Carsten Block
Administrator
> One downside of managing the Power TAC project as a large number of separate plugins is that it's hard to find dependencies. For example, I want to refactor one of the enumerations in powertac-common, but it seems the only way to find out where it's used is to check out all the various components and search them all. I don't see any alternative. Am I missing something?

You could check out server which should have all dependencies installed. If you do a search in that project also including the plugin location at ~/.grails/... you could find all usages across all plugins. IntelliJ provides this type of search and think STS does too.

Cheers,
Carsten

Re: Finding dependencies

On 02/08/2011 04:28 AM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:

>  > One downside of managing the Power TAC project as a large number of
> separate plugins is that it's hard to find dependencies. For example, I
> want to refactor one of the enumerations in powertac-common, but it
> seems the only way to find out where it's used is to check out all the
> various components and search them all. I don't see any alternative. Am
> I missing something?
>
> You could check out server which should have all dependencies installed.
> If you do a search in that project also including the plugin location at
> ~/.grails/... you could find all usages across all plugins. IntelliJ
> provides this type of search and think STS does too.

Yes, finding the list of dependencies is not hard. It just took a little
exploration to discover where they are recorded so I could change them.
When you do grails install-plugin, it updates application.properties. To
use local development code for plugin dependencies, you have to update
grails-app/conf/BuildConfig.groovy, as I described in
http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Release-Management-Release-Manager-td2442563.html#a2451811
(scroll to the bottom).