Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi Adis and all,

thanks for your mail concerning the visualizer. I've just committed an initial version of the PowerTAC visualizer to https://github.com/powertac-plugins/powertac-visualizer. Can you send me your github id? Then I'll add you to the committers for this project. Note that the current visualizer simply demonstrates incoming jms messages which - as of now - consist of serialized xml for competition, broker, timeslot, product, and shout instances. In parallel I'm working on the integration of John's tariff model into the powertac-common main branch. Once this is done we can also add demos for tariff publishing and / or revocation etc.

In the mean time please check http://metasieve.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/using-cometd-2-x-with-grails/
Can you please try to get this running in the power tac visualizer. It would be nice if the visualizer was simply pusing any incoming xml strings from jms to a sample view. From there we can then work our way towards visualizing the messages in a slightly more appealing way. :)

If you have any problems or questions concerning grails itself either try to ask them on the grails user list (http://www.grails.org/Mailing+lists) directly (lots of people reading there; you usually get nice and quick responses) or post them to our powertac developer list so that one of us can try to help you.

Thanks,
Carsten

Re: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

adis
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Vedran
Carsten,

Thank you for implementing the initial version of PowerTAC visualizer.

My github id is vpodobnik.

Cheers,

Vedran

Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:40 PM
Subject: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Initial-version-of-PowerTAC-Visualizer-committed-tp2288436p2288436.html

Re: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Carsten Block
Administrator
Great, I added you both as committers to the repository.

----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail -----

[...]

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Initial-version-of-PowerTAC-Visualizer-committed-tp2288436p2288436.html
To unsubscribe from Power TAC Developers, click here .

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below: http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Initial-version-of-PowerTAC-Visualizer-committed-tp2288436p2293823.html

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi Adis,

sorry. This seems to be an issue from an intermittent snapshot release of powertac-common plugin. Can you please try to "grails install-plugin powertac-common 0.5-SNAPSHOT" from your command line (maybe you even have to delete your ~/.ivy2 and ~/.grails cache directories (on windows they are in your user root directory. That should resolve the xstream issue (xstream is no longer in there).

Otherwise you can run and test the visualizer completely independently from the powertac-server.

Best,
Carsten

Am 23.01.2011 um 18:30 schrieb adis [via Power TAC Developers]:

Can the visualizer be tested and developed individually? I've been trying to run it a for a day now, and after resolving initial errors with native2ascii, I always end up with this:

[main] ERROR org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.context.GrailsContextLoader  - Error executing bootstraps: Error creating bean with name 'xmlMarshaller': Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.ConversionNotSupportedException: Failed to convert property value of type 'java.util.ArrayList' to required type 'com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConverterMatcher[]' for property 'converters'; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot convert value of type [java.lang.Class] to required type [com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConverterMatcher] for property 'converters[0]': no matching editors or conversion strategy found

(The real error is a bit longer)

As far as I can see, there are some issues with conversion of ArrayLists to XML with xstream. I've worked with xstream before, but I can't seem to find a real cause for this because it doesn't seem to be an issue in the plugin, but rather in other elements the plugin has been built around.

Am I missing something here, or I'm just doing it wrong?

Cheers,
Adis

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] <<a href="x-msg://14/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2314549&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Initial-version-of-PowerTAC-Visualizer-committed-tp2288436p2294211.html
To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <a href="x-msg://14/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2314549&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Initial-version-of-PowerTAC-Visualizer-committed-tp2288436p2314549.html

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi Adis!

> About the CometD plugin... Although it seems a bit complicated, the majority of implementation is on the server side of the service, with the client side being reduced to only one line of javascript code, and two scripts that can be copy/pasted. I'll try and build a mini server or something and implement it so I can test if the client side works properly.
...great!

> The second part is the jQuery-UI plugin. The documentation for it is very scarce, and the provided example on the plugin page does not work for me. I've found different workarounds for this, and it seems to be a recurring issue, but haven't found a fix that works so far.
> One of the other possible solutions I think would be better is to ignore the plugin alltogether and simply pull the jQuery and jQueryUI from Google cdn and inject the code without using the plugin; is this viable?
yes, sure. jQuery plugin is only a very thin wrapper that locally installs jquery for you. You can either use a CDN or download it yourself and put it under web-app/js

> I assumed that jQueryUI plugin is to be used because I found it among the visualiser dependencies, as well as the jQuery being used for visual presentation, so correct me if I understood it wrong.
I like jquery UI because it's clean, simple, and proven. We thus used it but this does not mean that you have to go down that alley too.

Cheers,
Carsten

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Initial version of PowerTAC Visualizer committed

Vedran
Please give your comments and feedback on appearance of graphs, as well as concept of tabs and accordions we plan to use for enabling users to manipulate which information to observe and which information to put into background (the link to a demo is given in the previous post by Adis).