Market Transaction clarification

Porag
Hi Everyone,

In the server log, a MarketTransaction instance represents a trade in the wholesale market. The values represent changes in the broker's energy and cash balances, from the viewpoint of the broker.

Therefore, a positive price means that money will be deposited in the broker's bank account.

And a positive amount of energy means that the broker has an additional quantity of energy in its account for the given timeslot.

When I run log analyzer, I am reading these values for a Market Transaction object (mt):

timeslotRepo.currentSerialNumber(); : 1200
mt.getTimeslot().getSerialNumber(); :  1220
mt.getMWh() : 0.7189722646034817
mt.getPrice() : -18.47867377246333

How is it possible for energy and price having opposite sign here? As the broker has +ve energy i.e. for that specific timeslot 1220 the broker has surplus of energy and he will get money for this right? If money goes to brokers account, it should be a +ve value from the brokers point of view. Can someone please explain this to me? Does the Market Transaction object contains the combined value of Balancing market also?

Thanks
Porag

Re: Market Transaction clarification

Hello, Porag -
Porag wrote
[...]

I'm not sure I understand the question. You received roughly 719 kWh and paid .0185/kWh. Afterward, you had more energy and less money. Is that not what you expected?

Re: Market Transaction clarification

Porag
Oh! I thought the broker had  719 kWh extra energy in his account (before the trading happened) and he is paying .0185/kWh. My bad. Thanks John. Its clear now.

Re: Market Transaction clarification

Porag
One quick question, does the market transaction include the wholesale transaction only?

Re: Market Transaction clarification

Porag wrote
One quick question, does the market transaction include the wholesale transaction only?
Yes. MarketTransaction messages are generated exclusively by the wholesale market.

Re: Market Transaction clarification

SPOT
While analyzing the log file for game 1, I got this for a MarketTransaction object.

mt.getMWh() = 1.5577387701893814
mt.getPrice() = 21.391164100872405

Isn't that mean, I received roughly 1557.7 kWh and gained  0.021/kW?

How is that possible in the wholesale market? Can you please explain me the scenario here?

Re: Market Transaction clarification

SPOT wrote
While analyzing the log file for game 1, I got this for a MarketTransaction object.

mt.getMWh() = 1.5577387701893814
mt.getPrice() = 21.391164100872405

Isn't that mean, I received roughly 1557.7 kWh and gained  0.021/kW?

How is that possible in the wholesale market? Can you please explain me the scenario here?
This can happen if some broker issues an Order with a (presumably) incorrect sign. In fact, it seems there are two brokers doing that fairly consistently. One is offering to receive both energy and money (postive MWh and money), and as far as I can tell none of those are clearing. But the other is occasionally offering to give both energy and money (negative MWh and money), and those do clear. So if your broker is not messing up its orders, you are occasionally getting paid to take a few MWh by a very generous colleague.

In the game I looked at, I did not see any instances of SPOT making this mistake.

Probably this would be a good time to check your own broker and make sure you aren't getting your signs backward.

Re: Market Transaction clarification

SPOT
Thanks for the clarification John.

Re: Market Transaction clarification

FYI, I added the logtool script I whipped up to look at broker price anomalies. It's BrokerPriceAnomaly in the logtool-examples folder in the powertac-tools repo.