New Grails

achryso
A couple of weeks ago, the new version of grails (1.3.7) came out.

Although I know it's not obligatory to download it, the Springsource now
downloads this version, as well as the eclipse plugin update.

So everytime I try to redownload code from github I have to upgrade
powertac-common and the project at hand.

Is there a reason that most projects are still developed with grails
1.3.6? Wouldn't be better to used the upgraded version in case a new
developer or user enters?

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

[Out of Office]

Clemens van Dinther

Bis zum 14. März 2011 bin ich nicht im Büro und werde Ihre Nachricht so bald wie möglich nach meiner Rückkehr beantworten. Die Nachricht wird nicht weitergeleitet.

Beste Grüße,

Clemens van Dinther

I am out of office until March, 14th 2011 and will reply to your message as soon as possible after my return. Your message will not be forwarded.

Best regards,

Clemens van Dinther

--

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Institute for Information Management and Systems

Dr. Clemens van Dinther

Englerstr. 14
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 608-48381
Fax: +49 721 608-48399

Re: New Grails

On 03/11/2011 04:51 AM, achryso [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago, the new version of grails (1.3.7) came out.
>
> Although I know it's not obligatory to download it, the Springsource now
> downloads this version, as well as the eclipse plugin update.
>
> So everytime I try to redownload code from github I have to upgrade
> powertac-common and the project at hand.
>
> Is there a reason that most projects are still developed with grails
> 1.3.6? Wouldn't be better to used the upgraded version in case a new
> developer or user enters?

Yes, we should upgrade. It's a big pain. Could you please post an issue
on this?

Thanks.

Re: New Grails

achryso

> On 03/11/2011 04:51 AM, achryso [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:
>> A couple of weeks ago, the new version of grails (1.3.7) came out.
>>
>> Although I know it's not obligatory to download it, the Springsource now
>> downloads this version, as well as the eclipse plugin update.
>>
>> So everytime I try to redownload code from github I have to upgrade
>> powertac-common and the project at hand.
>>
>> Is there a reason that most projects are still developed with grails
>> 1.3.6? Wouldn't be better to used the upgraded version in case a new
>> developer or user enters?
>
> Yes, we should upgrade. It's a big pain. Could you please post an issue
> on this?

I created the issue but I don't have rights in order to put labels. If you
would be as kind as to put the labels yourself, or give me privileges in
order to do it myself.

Thank you in advance.

Re: New Grails

On 03/11/11 09:10, achryso [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:

> I created the issue but I don't have rights in order to put labels. If you
> would be as kind as to put the labels yourself, or give me privileges in
> order to do it myself.

You now have the necessary authority to apply labels.

Re: New Grails

achryso
Hello to everyone.

We have been discussing this issue with John (out of Nibble with PMs) and an issue has been created over this. For more info you should check

https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/issues/search#issue/127

Over this discussion, we agreed that it should be for the best if we all tried to get all modules changed over in a single day, with more appropriate date next Wednesday 3/16.

In order to upgrade a project you have to do the next things:

In CMD environment:

1) You have to download the new grails (1.3.7) manually from the site and put it in C:\grails or the directory you have been using for the grails_Home when using the 1.3.6 version

2) Once you have done this, if done correctly then in cmd environment running grails will show you the current version as 1.3.7.

3) In order to upgrade an already existing project or plugin through cmd you go to the directory in question and write -> grails upgrade When you do this after a while your project- plugin is upgrated and you are done.

In Eclipse - Springsource - Repast (etc)

1)Go through the update option (Help -> Check for updates) for the graphic Tool under use (Eclipse, Springsource, Repast or any other). In case you just installed the Springsource platform then if you download the grails platform for it, will download the latest version automatically.

2) After updating you grails version by the means discussed above then you have to go to your preferences (usually Window -> Preferences -> Groovy (submenu) -> Grails) and change the default version in use to the new one (1.3.7).

3) If you try to run a command for a project - plugin already in workspace or you import a project to your workspace, in case of an older version project - plugin, the platform ask you if you want to upgrade to the new version of grails automatically. Again you can do this manually by the command ->  grails upgrade. And done.

The procedure is not that difficult you just have to be careful replacing the folder or changing from properties the version of grails used by default.

You can uprgade the modules anytime you want, if you try to put an older version one in the project it asks you to upgrade the version or does it automatically so it won't be a problem.

So even if someone forgets to do it someone else can at anytime.

If anyone has problems or any question on the subject I am more that willing to help.

Cheers everyone.

Anthony