On EV customer usage/behaviour information

On EV customer usage/behaviour information

easwar1977
Hi all,

a)    I am wondering how does a broker get hold of information about an EV vehicle customer. Like his driving pattern, social class,  charge status and all that. I can see some functions in evCustomer java file. I am not sure how can a broker get hold of such information. Can somebody help ? Is there a handlemessage of some sort ?

b) I am aware of MarketBootStrapData, CustomerBootStrapData and Competition messages to get information from boot log. But how do we get hold of the following info in broker,

<bootstrap-state>
<properties>
  <property name="evcustomer.customers.evCustomer.HighIncome-2_15.driving" value="false"/>
  <property name="evcustomer.customers.evSocialClass.LowIncome-1.customerAttributeList" value="[3.male.Leaf24.x, 6.female.Leaf24.x, 5.male.Leaf24.x, 2.male.Leaf24.x, 5.female.Leaf24.x, 5.female.Leaf24.x, 2.male.Leaf24.x, 3.male.Leaf24.x, 2.female.Leaf24.x, 5.male.Leaf24.x, 2.female.Leaf24.x, 1.female.Leaf24.x, 2.male.Leaf24.x, 3.male.Leaf24.x, 3.female.Leaf24.x, 2.male.Leaf24.x, 7.female.Leaf24.x, 2.male.Leaf24.x]"/>

Is there a handlemessage for fetching above information ? I understand the first message stays the EV vehicle is not driving ? What does the second message say ?

c) Can someone throw light on the connections between social class and EV vehicle design ? How can one get these attributes as a broker ?

Thanks
Easwar

Re: On EV customer usage/behaviour information

easwar1977
Hi John,

   Can you kindly help with some reply to the question raised in this post ?   Sorry for the bother.

Best Regards,
Easwar

Re: On EV customer usage/behaviour information

easwar1977 wrote
Hi all,

a)    I am wondering how does a broker get hold of information about an EV vehicle customer. Like his driving pattern, social class,  charge status and all that. I can see some functions in evCustomer java file. I am not sure how can a broker get hold of such information. Can somebody help ? Is there a handlemessage of some sort ?
It's a good question, and the answer is that it's currently not accessible to brokers. I would like to do some re-design on this model for 2020, and I would be interested to know your thoughts. With the current generation of vehicles and chargers, this type of information is not available to real-world retailers, as far as I know. Valogianni and her colleagues have looked into this in some detail, and have worked up schemes whereby a grid operator or retailer could learn fairly accurate aggregate details on energy requirements and charging preferences for a population of EVs.
b) I am aware of MarketBootStrapData, CustomerBootStrapData and Competition messages to get information from boot log. But how do we get hold of the following info in broker,

<bootstrap-state>
<properties>
  <property name="evcustomer.customers.evCustomer.HighIncome-2_15.driving" value="false"/>
This information is passed from the boot session to the sim session to set the initial vehicle configuration, including charge status, at the start of a sim session. It's internal model information, and not intended to be published. It's not information that would be available to a real-world retailer.
c) Can someone throw light on the connections between social class and EV vehicle design ? How can one get these attributes as a broker ?
The social class etc. are from a dataset on driving behavior in the Netherlands. Each social class has distributions over driving behavior (time, distance) and vehicle type. The distributions are specified in config files inside evcustomer/src/main/resources/config/properties.xml. It's not very sophisticated, but if you take a look, you will see that the actual populations of the various classes can vary from game to game. Part of the info that's passed from boot to sim is the values for those populations, so the sim behavior should be an accurate continuation of the boot behavior.

I know this is not quite what you hoped for. Does it help?

Re: On EV customer usage/behaviour information

easwar1977
Hi John,

   Many thanks for your answers. Always nice to hear your perspective.

  True;  this wasn't the answer that I was looking for.

a) I was mainly interested in what the broker could do when she has EV vehicle customers in her portfolio.  I was thinking that a broker as a fleet owner would have access or at least be able to predict or learn the driving / charging behaviour of various EV customers.  This would help to time when certain group of EV vehicles under her portfolio would be available for V2G operations which would in turn help in reducing wholesale or balancing costs.  Otherwise I am not able to see the difference between a storage and EV customer from the viewpoint of broker (except EV guys discharge when they drive).  Any thoughts here ?

b) I was of the opinion that what ever is available in the boot file is available for broker as well.  If it is an internal model information that is to be used from boot to sim mode, is there a need for it be there in boot file ?

c) I would take some time to gather my thoughts around EVCustomer class re-design so that we can take it up for 2020 competition. May be we can ponder on this after the 2019 finals.

d) I did read up on some works Micha Kahlen and Valogianni (with others). They do use PowerTAC as a simulation base to drive home their ideas. Hence, I was thinking that a broker is like a fleet owner and would have access to some information about EV vehicles. The questions in this thread germinated after glancing through their works.

Best Regards,
Easwar

Re: On EV customer usage/behaviour information

Hello, Easwar and all -
easwar1977 wrote
Hi John,

   Many thanks for your answers. Always nice to hear your perspective.

  True;  this wasn't the answer that I was looking for.

a) I was mainly interested in what the broker could do when she has EV vehicle customers in her portfolio.  I was thinking that a broker as a fleet owner would have access or at least be able to predict or learn the driving / charging behaviour of various EV customers.  This would help to time when certain group of EV vehicles under her portfolio would be available for V2G operations which would in turn help in reducing wholesale or balancing costs.  Otherwise I am not able to see the difference between a storage and EV customer from the viewpoint of broker (except EV guys discharge when they drive).  Any thoughts here ?
The current EV model is not a fleet model. We would very much like to add a fleet model, in which case the entire fleet (there might be a few fleets) would be a single customer. We would love to have a volunteer willing to work with us to implement such a model for the 2020 competition.
b) I was of the opinion that what ever is available in the boot file is available for broker as well.  If it is an internal model information that is to be used from boot to sim mode, is there a need for it be there in boot file ?
The purpose of the boot record is to communicate information from the boot to the sim. Some of that is shared with brokers, and much of it is not. If you look carefully, you will see that several other models are recording state in the boot record in order to properly initialize the sim. This helps ensure the value of the usage and price data from the boot that is sent to brokers.
c) I would take some time to gather my thoughts around EVCustomer class re-design so that we can take it up for 2020 competition. May be we can ponder on this after the 2019 finals.
Excellent!
d) I did read up on some works Micha Kahlen and Valogianni (with others). They do use PowerTAC as a simulation base to drive home their ideas. Hence, I was thinking that a broker is like a fleet owner and would have access to some information about EV vehicles. The questions in this thread germinated after glancing through their works.
Ah - that makes sense. The current EV model is designed around some early data acquired by Valogianni about individual driving behavior. We would like to use Kahlen's's fleet data for another model, but it would have to be a statistical model. The current EV model is a stateful "bottom-up" model that's not very scalable.

Re: On EV customer usage/behaviour information

easwar1977
Hi John,

    Thanks a lot for your kind reply. Guess I have some clarity now. Thank you.

Regards,
Easwar