Packaging brokers in binary form

Much of the research value of Power TAC will be realized when there is a collection of competitive agents that we can use to test out our own broker agents and models. But Power TAC is a competition, and many teams will be understandably reluctant to share their sources. Past TAC games have left it up to individual teams to figure out how to distribute binary versions of their agents; the result has been that for some teams it's too much trouble, while for others their binary versions don't always run in other environments.

To address this, I have just pushed a revision to the pom.xml in sample-broker that helps you assemble an "executable jar" that contains all the dependencies in binary form, along with any classpath resources (files under src/main/resources). The only thing missing is top-level config files, which often need to be edited anyway by a user to specify tournament names and URLs.

To create an executable jar, you just grab the new pom.xml from github, and use
mvn clean package
  The result will be in target/project-name.jar, where project-name is "sample-broker" unless you edit the "name" attribute of the pom.xml.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Re: Packaging brokers in binary form

mblum
Dear Power TAC Developers,
are there any agent binaries available by now? This would be really helpful for development.

Manuel

Re: Packaging brokers in binary form

markus
I haven't validated our broker LARGEpower against the 1.0.0 server yet,
but I will do so soon and will make its binaries available at that
point. We're probably looking at late next week.

Cheers,

Markus

Re: Packaging brokers in binary form

markus
Manuel --

I made binaries of the LARGEpower broker publicly available today. You
can get the broker's installation POM here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8900217/pom.xml. There are comments in the file
that explain how to configure the broker for your environment.

Let me know if something doesn't work for you.

Cheers,

Markus

Re: Packaging brokers in binary form

mblum
Hi Markus,

thanks a lot for the link. The LARGEpower broker works nicely.

Cheers,
Manuel