Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi!

Game Visualization is currently (as of 0.7.x) part of the server, which is developed based on a Spring MVC (http://www.springsource.org/about) web application framework called grails (grails.org). Grails framework uses sitemesh for web page layouting  (http://www.opensymphony.com/sitemesh/) and a Groovy (http://groovy.codehaus.org/) enhanced version of jsp pages called "gsp" (see http://grails.org/doc/latest/guide/6.%20The%20Web%20Layer.html#6.2%20Groovy%20Server%20Pages)

For chart generation we currently used a specific JQuery (http://jquery.com/) plugin called flot (http://code.google.com/p/flot/).

In future the core server and the visualizer should be separated; the visualizer component should be able to cope with several different servers. In order to accomplish this, the game server(s) will send out "various different game log messages" via a dedicated JMS queue to the visualizer, which in turn should store and visualize this data centrally.

At the moment we are working on a revised core server "skeleton" along the high level architecture described at http://tacenergy.wikia.com/wiki/Server_Architecture. A first technical draft concept is due next week.

Some concrete thoughts and questions concerning visualization:

1.) How do you like the current execution phase visualization? Is it good? What could be better? IMHO we neet to refactor it such that it is using reverse ajax (aka Comet) for automatic page / chart updating without browser refresh being required.
2.) How do we want to visualize contracting?
3.) How do we visualize the customer portfolios of the brokers?
4.) How do we visualize the broker ranking?

Cheers,
Carsten

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi Vedran,

okay, looks fine for me though the live demonstration on the project homepage always crashes my firefox browser.

Cheers,
Carsten

Am 14.11.10 23:24 schrieb "Vedran Podobnik" unter [hidden email]:

Carsten,

It is our pleasure we can contribute to such an interesting project as the Power TAC.

According to requirements set by John and Wolf, Adis has chosen the technology for the visualizer (Google Web Toolkit) and graph display (http://code.google.com/p/clientsidegchart/) <http://code.google.com/p/clientsidegchart/> .

In the next ten days we will generate a first draft of the Power TAC visualizer. We hope to receive a feedback from you and other developers then. I think the best way to design a good visualizer is by enabling it to evolve based on the feedback from community.

We will have in mind suggestions from your post about the visualizer (http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-td1884765.html#a1884765).

Cheers,
Vedran

P.S.  You put together a great overview paper (Smart Grid Economics: Policy Guidance through Competitive Simulation).

Out of Office AutoReply: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Out of Office AutoReply: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Hello,

I'm currently out of the office. I'll be back in the office on Monday, 22 November 2010.  Until then I will read my mail only sporadically or not at all. Your mail is not forwarded. If you need immediate assistance please contact Cheryl Eiting ([hidden email]). If it requires a reply, I will do so after I return to the office.

Best,

Wolf Ketter

Disclaimer
De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer.

The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

adis
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

asymeon
Hi everybody.

From the 2 mockup versions, I think I prefer the 2nd one more.

Best regards,
Andreas

RE: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Hi Adis and All,

I like that I’m able to see the full game overview and an individual broker at the same time. In TAC SCM comes a pop-up when you look at individual brokers and it blocks the game view.

Maybe we could use a combination of mockup 1 and 2? Meaning that the game overview data is better visible along the top (at least that’s my experience from TAC SCM). Currently the logo is to the far left side of the top panel and there is ample space to populate it with the current game overview.

Thoughts?

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Adis -

I like mockup 1 better than 2 - it gives more room to the details

The use of Apache MQ is not essential, although if you don't use it,
then the webapp will have to serve as a mediator to translate messages
to whatever format you choose. That might not be difficult, if it just
means that you forward the payloads.

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi Everybody,

thanks for the mockups and the documents, Adis. Very nice! Some points from my side:

One really important requirement, IMHO, is auto-update of the web page. Here I would suggest the use the of reverse ajax (aka comet) as there a decent tools out there to facilitate that. In particular, there exists a grails plugin that sets up the server part of it.

GChart is google charts, right? That basically means you transfer images from the google web servers to the game visualizer. I would prefer something like flot (we use now) or open flash chart api, as you then can send updated data via comet to the browsers, which re-render the images on the fly.

SmartGWT is not GWT but an extension project to the original GWT. Not sure how actively it is developed and not sure how well reverse ajax is supported. Also it still keeps crashing my firefox browser when I try their online demo...

David Dauer did a very nice job visualizing the current execution phase using simple jQuery + css with (you can still see it if you actually run a competition on one of the servers on tacenergy.org. The main page then changes into competition mode showing you orderbooks for the different timeslot and a line chart for each broker that visualizes their trading activity). I actually liked David's jQuery approach because it gives you full control over your website design not limiting you to a pre-defined set of widgets and it felt very "lightweight" navigating the website.

Besides the question of "how to visualze" the competition, the other really, really hard question is "what" to visualize. For the execution phase we came up with the three data-series chart per broker and orderbook tables. How shall we visualize the contracting activities of brokers? How can we visualize their portfolios?

Concerning activemq: The server will continuously send out data (and we still have to talk about what data you need for visualization) using some form of queue (currently we use JMS).The visualizer thus has to be able to pull in these messages from the queue. As John said, a web server makes a lot of sense over there as you can then also store the data (e.g. in case somebody wants to visualize / replay a historic competition). I would suggest that we use grails as rapid application development framework for that part and we can help you setting up the basic framework including jms queue management.  Grails also support GWT as web frontend but again, personally I prefer the jQuery approach (which would basically allow you to reuse lots of code, David has already written for the old server).

Best regards from Karlsruhe,
Carsten

Am 27.11.2010 um 03:04 schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:

Adis -

I like mockup 1 better than 2 - it gives more room to the details

The use of Apache MQ is not essential, although if you don't use it,
then the webapp will have to serve as a mediator to translate messages
to whatever format you choose. That might not be difficult, if it just
means that you forward the payloads.

John

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1884765p1975672.html

Out of Office AutoReply: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Out of Office AutoReply: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Hello,

I'm currently out of the office, since I'm attending a training programme. I'll be back in the office on Monday, 6 December 2010.  Until then I will read my mail only sporadically or not at all. Your mail is not forwarded. If you need immediate assistance please contact Cheryl Eiting ([hidden email]). If it requires a reply, I will do so after I return to the office.