Project status - mid-March 2011

I thought it might be useful to try to write down where we stand in server implementation in the middle of March. My goal is to make sure we are working on the right problems to get a server running quickly, by the end of this month if possible. At this point, we have much of the server framework implemented and tested, and as of yesterday upgraded to Grails 1.3.7. We can handle tariffs, we can handle bank account and market position transactions, customers can subscribe and unsubscribe tariffs and can consume and produce energy, and the necessary accounting transactions get generated. The hourly cycle is implemented in CompetitionControl, and it works with accounting and the tariff market. But there are several items that need to be done before we can fire up the server and do anything interesting:

  • A default broker that supplies power to its customers and offers a default tariff. (#16, #89; Chris)
  • A customer model that consumes power and subscribes to tariffs. (#105, #134, Antonios/David)
  • A working wholesale market, with a minimal liquidity provider. (#92, #98; Daniel)
  • A startup phase in CompetitonControl that sets up game parameters and starts the clock. (#6, #133; John/David)
  • A working distribution utility that computes net and individual imbalance and charges brokers for their imbalance. (#32; Travis/John)
  • A broker proxy component that supports broker communication, at least to the point of processing send-to-broker and broadcast-to-brokers requests. (#116, #131; Nguyen/David/John)
  • A minimal game visualizer that shows an overview of game status. (#135; Adis)
  • Web access to server internals through server controllers. (#136; Dan)
  • A shutdown phase in CompetitionControl that stops the clock when the last timeslot has passed. (John)
  • A draft game specification that is ready for fine-tuning. (#113, #117; Wolf)
As soon as possible after this is running, we will want:
  • A broker agent that logs in to the server, offers tariffs, and trades in the market. (#11; Nguyen/David)
  • Updated broker proxy component that supports broker login and communication. (#116; Nguyen/David)
  • A second customer model that produces power and subscribes to tariffs. (Antonios)
  • A shutdown phase in CompetitonControl that saves the game log and database. (#36, #133; John)
  • Working weather service. (#115; Erik)
  • A data-driven liquidity provider. (#31; Ryan)

If anyone is concerned about getting your parts finished in time, or if anyone wants more work to do, please let me know.

Project status - mid-April 2011

Much progress has been made since mid-March when I wrote the last summary. We have several people who want to build brokers for the competition in July, and they need to get started. We have set 2 May as a beta release date. Below are issues I am aware of that need to be resolved by then; if you know of others, please let me know ASAP:

  • Draft game specification with enough detail to guide broker development. (#176 - Wolf/John)
  • Flexible game parameter specification mechanism. (#160 - David/John)
  • Integrated wholesale market implementation, with revised Orderbook implementation. (#162 - Daniel)
  • Integrated distribution utility that computes and charges for balancing. (#32 - Travis/John)
  • Implement serialization of revised Orderbook design. (#158 - John)
  • Broker proxy service needs to persist incoming messages. (#169 - John)
  • Integration of customer model into server, and testing over a multi-week cycle. (Antonios/John)
  • More sophisticated tariff-selection process for customers. (#172 - Chris/Antonios)
  • Clock management and pause mode. (#155, #171, Dan/John)
  • Broadcast broker usernames to all brokers at startup. (#167, #170 - Nguyen/John)
  • Dump database and prepare for another simulation at conclusion of simulation. (#10, #133 - John/Nguyen)
  • Gather up and distribute per-tariff and overall aggregate power consumption/production. (#173 - Antonios)
  • Visualizer needs to receive all message traffic coming into or going out of server. (#174 - Adis/John)
  • Working demo broker that can be built onto, allows inspection and creation of messages through web interface. (#11 - Nguyen)
  • Basic working weather service. (#115, #175 - Erik, Josh)

This is what I can see right now. Many of these are very small issues, and some may already be complete. I have been going through and assigning issues to people and milestones with the new GitHub issue interface. Please record your progress in your assigned issues, and close them when you are finished. If there are items missing from this list, please add them or let me know. If you cannot complete your issues, I need to know right away so we can meet our commitments. If you are looking for more work to do, let me know and we can possiblyreassign some issues.

Thanks for all your help.

John