Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu
Hi All,

I have several more questions regarding PowerTAC that I want to clarify from you:

1. For the customer behaviour, we found out that even we publish 2 tariff with exactly same setting but one with a higher price, there will still be a portion of customers subscribing to this high price tariff; but intuitively customers will all switch to the lower price tariff. So we want to know roughly the reason for this. Is this because of the server side behavioural model? Can we get the distribution for this if possible?

2. For the last trial round, we found our results varied a lot even with same set of brokers. Except the difference in the boot file used for each game, is the server/customer behaviour models all the same for all games?

3. During this trial round in this week, is it possible for us to switch brokers during this process as we want to see if possible to test some other strategies programmed by us?

I would like to hearing response from the game organizer as well as participants. Thank you very much!

Team from NTU

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

Jasper
Hi all,

In the last two games our broker (sample8) participated for the first time. This could have been the cause for the difference in your results.

Jasper
CWI

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu
have you participated in last week`s trial round? I am saying in last week`s 8 broker games...i found the results varied a lot in the 10 games.

NTU

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

Jasper
Last week I didn't participate at all. In the current trial our broker has only played in the games 388 and 389 so far (at the moment of writing this message). I missed the games 384 to 387. I'm not sure if this explains your results then.

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu wrote
1. For the customer behaviour, we found out that even we publish 2 tariff with exactly same setting but one with a higher price, there will still be a portion of customers subscribing to this high price tariff; but intuitively customers will all switch to the lower price tariff. So we want to know roughly the reason for this. Is this because of the server side behavioural model? Can we get the distribution for this if possible?
This is indeed possible because customers are not completely rational and may not notice all your offerings (some of them end up in the junk-mail bin). The details are spelled out in the game specification, Section 4.1.2. This is an area that needs some work for the future; one thought is to choose separately among tariffs from individual brokers, and then among brokers. This would reduce the small advantage a broker can gain by offering at least five tariffs for each PowerType the customer can subscribe to.
2. For the last trial round, we found our results varied a lot even with same set of brokers. Except the difference in the boot file used for each game, is the server/customer behaviour models all the same for all games?
There can be several reasons for this. One is that some brokers are still somewhat erratic in their behaviors. Another is that during these trial rounds, not all brokers are actually participating in each of their games. Another is that teams may be modifying their brokers during this time.
3. During this trial round in this week, is it possible for us to switch brokers during this process as we want to see if possible to test some other strategies programmed by us?
Yes. The only rounds during which it is forbidden to change your broker are final rounds. You may also update your brokers during qualifying rounds. This is encouraged, so that we get the best possible competition during the final round.

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu
Hi John,

Thanks for your email. I would like to ask during this trial/qualification round, even among different games inside this round we can change our brokers right?

Thanks,

NTU Team

PowerTacAgentNtu wrote

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Questions-that-I-want-to-Clarify-tp4025928p4025932.html
To unsubscribe from Questions that I want to Clarify, click here.

Yes.

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu
But the thing is we can't change broker within a single game, right? How can we know when a game ends so that we want to switch on the other broker to run the next game? Is there a timer available or we need to manually time the game duration?

Thanks!

PowerTacAgentNtu wrote

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Questions-that-I-want-to-Clarify-tp4025928p4025942.html
To unsubscribe from Questions that I want to Clarify, click here.

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu wrote
But the thing is we can't change broker within a single game, right? How can we know when a game ends so that we want to switch on the other broker to run the next game? Is there a timer available or we need to manually time the game duration?
It is hard to see how you could change a broker within a game unless you have written it in Lisp or some other language that supports on-the-fly code updates. If that's the case, go ahead, but please don't do it during a final round.

How do you know when a game ends? I guess that depends on how you are running your broker. If you run it with multiple sessions or a time limit, then it will exit after than many sessions or when the time runs out. But if you run it repeatedly with a shell script, then the script will always start the latest version for each game, and any changes you make will be used each time the broker re-starts.

Does this make sense?

Re: Questions that I want to Clarify

PowerTacAgentNtu

Thank you. It cleared our doubt.

[...]

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Questions-that-I-want-to-Clarify-tp4025928p4025945.html
To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email ml-node+[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Questions that I want to Clarify, click here.
NAML