Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Carsten Block
Administrator
Adis and Vedran,

one more thing: If you have time sometimes this week, I am happy to offer you a "walk" through the v0.7 server so that you can see how we've set up visualization over there and also how we handled ActiveMQ / JMS integration... Today and tomorrow I'm away on a seminar but Wednesday or late there should be some time.

Cheers,
Carsten

Am 27.11.2010 um 03:04 schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:

Adis -

I like mockup 1 better than 2 - it gives more room to the details

The use of Apache MQ is not essential, although if you don't use it,
then the webapp will have to serve as a mediator to translate messages
to whatever format you choose. That might not be difficult, if it just
means that you forward the payloads.

John

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1884765p1975672.html

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Vedran
Carsten,

It would be great if you could describe us the v0.7 server. Moreover, you could elaborate in more details your vision of the PowerTAC visualizer and your thoughts about potential technologies in use.

We propose a Skype session on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday sometime between 11.00 and 13.00, whichever serves you better.

Cheers,

Vedran

Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

[...]

To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1986078&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top>[hidden email]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p1986078.html

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Carsten Block
Administrator
Hi Vedran,

back from my Seminar. Would tomorrow (Thursday) 12:30h - 13:00h fit your schedule? If you have never heard of grails before, maybe it would be good for you to at least scan through the quick start (http://www.grails.org/Quick+Start) tutorial so that you have a rough understanding about what a domain class, a controller, a view, and a service is in grails. That would get us started more quickly tomorrow.

Cheers,
Carsten

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Vedran
Carsten,

12:30h-13:00h is OK both for Adis and me. I will scan the tutorial, tnx for that, while Adis is already an expert :-)

Our Skype accounts are adis.msg (Adis) and blackyfer (Vedran).

Cheers,

Vedran

Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:00 PM

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p1998829.html

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Carsten Block
Hi Vedran and Adis,

thanks a lot for the nice meeting today. Just a short wrap up for everybody:

Meeting Minutes
-----------------------
Meeting Objectives:
- To present current state of Power TAC visualization as of v0.7 of the server
- To dicuss options for realization of a detached (stand-alone) visualizer for the 1.0 version of Power TAC

Participants:
------------------
- Carsten (Karlsruhe)
- Vedran (Zagreb)
- Adis (Zagreb)

Topics:
----------
1.) We ran through a live demo of the 0.7 version of the server showing the web interface including the visualization of current execution (i.e. auction market) activity.

2.) We briefly went through the 0.7 server code (download at https://launchpad.net/tacenergy) investigating...
   (i) how controllers map to URLs (i.e. http://tacenergy.org/tacenergy/shout/list maps to ShoutController.list()), how they retrieve data from the database and how they dispatch this to views
   (ii) how gsp views can dynamically be composed out of several "snippets" (Technology in behind ist http://www.opensymphony.com/sitemesh/)
   (iii) how charts and dynamic page elements (e.g. drop downs) are generated using jquery and jquery plugins such as flot (http://code.google.com/p/flot)

3.) We shortly discussed how to technically enable page refresh without manual reloads using reverse ajax (please also look at two specific grails plugins that provide reverse-ajax/comet functionality: http://grails.org/plugin/atmosphere and http://grails.org/plugin/cometd)

4.) We discussed conceptual questions that are not addressed at all so far (because at 0.7 state of the server competition functionality was quite different) including...
  (i) Do we want to visualize customer portfolios of brokers and if yes how?
  (ii) How do we visualize negotiation activity (see http://invite.concordia.ca/inspire/demo.html for inspiration on how Gregory does it in his system)
  (iii) How do we visualize  execution activity?
  One more question from me ex post:  How do we visualize the current broker ranking (and even more deeply conceptional: How can a current broker ranking be computed if we want to visualize it)?

5.) We agreed that Adis checks the 0.7 server visualization code and get back any time to David and me for further support. Also we agreed that the Karlsruhe Power TAC team is happy to provide support setting up a visualizer grails application including ActiveMQ connection setup etc. in order to support the Zagreb group in quickly maneuvering through the boiler plate part of setting up and initializing such a project.

Vedran and Adis: Is everything right? Did I miss something?

Cheers,
Carsten

P.S.: Some more links:
- Free and good getting started ebook for grails: http://www.infoq.com/minibooks/grails-getting-started
- Mastering Grails tutorial series at IBM developerworks: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/views/java/libraryview.jsp?search_by=mastering+grails

Am 29.11.2010 um 19:21 schrieb Vedran Podobnik [via Power TAC Developers]:

[...]

To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <a href="x-msg://6/#" rel="nofollow" target="_top" link="external">[hidden email]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p1986078.html
To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <a href="x-msg://6/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1987966&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p1987966.html

Eva & Carsten Block
Burgunderstr. 19
79104 Freiburg

T: 0761/2144672

Out of Office AutoReply: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Out of Office AutoReply: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Hello,

I'm currently out of the office, since I'm attending a training programme. I'll be back in the office on Monday, 6 December 2010.  Until then I will read my mail only sporadically or not at all. Your mail is not forwarded. If you need immediate assistance please contact Cheryl Eiting ([hidden email]). If it requires a reply, I will do so after I return to the office.

Best,

Wolf Ketter

Disclaimer
De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer.

The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

Vedran

Carsten,

Thank you for a quick tutorial into your work regarding visualisation on v0.7 PowerTAC server and the comprehensive Minutes-of-Meeting.

Adis will study your team’s code and your proposals for further implementation. Simultaneously, we will both try to design convenient solutions for conceptual open issues (a visualization of customer portfolios, negotiation phase and execution phase).

Thanks to Karlsruhe Power TAC team for a support.

Cheers,

Vedran

Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:12 PM

[...]

To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2005842&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top>[hidden email]

Eva & Carsten Block
Burgunderstr. 19
79104 Freiburg

T: 0761/2144672
@: <A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2005842&amp;i=1" rel=nofollow target=_top>[hidden email]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p2005842.html

The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

adis
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Power TAC Visualization - General Overview

ddauer

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:26 PM, adis [via Power TAC Developers] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm about to dive deeper into the code of the server visualizer, so, before I begin, I have several beginner's questions, just to keep myself on the track and to have a rough idea at what I'm looking at.

1. First of all, I noticed that the new site [powertac.org] is using Drupal cms, and if I've noticed correctly, the old site is built using grails. Is the new site just temporary, or there will be some changes in this area?

The URL itself is not important. The visualizer should be able to run on any web server.

2. Secondly, during the demonstration competition in our meeting, it seemed that the communication between the visualizer and the competition is already implemented. Could you share a bit more details on how is this accomplished?

You probably saw a demo on tacenergy.org, which is a grails app that does not separate visualization from the competition. So the visualizer just has direct database access, which you won't have. The new idea is that the visualizer will be able to receive messages sent out by the competition server and will have to store them in its own way.

3. Finally, is the charting in the visualizer something already integrated into grails, or is it some kind of a plugin?

Charting is powered by http://www.grails.org/plugin/flot

- David

Regards,
Adis

CONTENTS DELETED

On 12/06/2010 07:26 AM, adis [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:
> I'm about to dive deeper into the code of the server visualizer, so,
> before I begin, I have several beginner's questions, just to keep myself
> on the track and to have a rough idea at what I'm looking at.
>
> 1. First of all, I noticed that the new site [powertac.org
> <http://powertac.org>] is using Drupal cms, and if I've noticed
> correctly, the old site is built using grails. Is the new site just
> temporary, or there will be some changes in this area?

The new site is not the web front-end for the server, it's the public
information portal for the project. The web front-end will be in the
same domain, slightly different URL. Suggestions are welcome.

> 2. Secondly, during the demonstration competition in our meeting, it
> seemed that the communication between the visualizer and the competition
> is already implemented. Could you share a bit more details on how is
> this accomplished?

That was a very impoverished sort of communication. I don't know the
details, but I assume it was just updating a chart from the message
traffic to the brokers, and that most of it was happening in the server,
not the client. Carsten or David would know more.

> 3. Finally, is the charting in the visualizer something already
> integrated into grails, or is it some kind of a plugin?

I don't know those details. Since the new visualizer will be
significantly richer and more interactive than the existing one, you
should be free to decide how you want it to work.

> Regards,
> Adis
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Vedran Podobnik [via Power TAC
> Developers] <[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=2027273&i=0>> wrote:
>
>     Carsten,
>
>     Thank you for a quick tutorial into your work regarding
>     visualisation on v0.7 PowerTAC server and the comprehensive
>     Minutes-of-Meeting.
>
>     Adis will study your team’s code and your proposals for further
>     implementation. Simultaneously, we will both try to design
>     convenient solutions for conceptual open issues (a visualization of
>     customer portfolios, negotiation phase and execution phase).
>
>     Thanks to Karlsruhe Power TAC team for a support.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Vedran

Hi Adis,

2. Secondly, during the demonstration competition in our meeting, it seemed that the communication between the visualizer and the competition is already implemented. Could you share a bit more details on how is this accomplished?

John is right. The communication you saw uses plain http request-response communication between the server and the frontend (i.e. your web-browser). It is triggered by http requests from your browser, for which the server generates html pages (with jQuery javascript for dynamics and visualization in it) as response. For the new visualizer things are a bit different. The new power tac server emits messages in a "push" style, which are written into a message queue (that's the activemq thing John mentioned before). The visualizerneeds to subscribe to this queue in order to retrieve the server's messages and to subsequently make some sort of visualization out of it.

As already mentioned during our meeting: The choice of weapons is completely yours. The reason for showing you the old visualizer was to give you a good overview on how we initially did it (think of it as "inspiration" :).

If you want to have grails as backend for subscribing to the message queue and (maybe?) to easily store the incoming data in a database, we Kalrsrueh people happy to help you setting up a minimal working instance to quickly get you started.

3. Finally, is the charting in the visualizer something already integrated into grails, or is it some kind of a plugin?

Yes. there is a flot plugin you can use: http://www.grails.org/plugin/flot
But there are many alternatives too (search for them on http://www.grails.org/plugin/home) including, for example, open flash chart (http://www.grails.org/plugin/ofchart) or even for complete front-end toolboxes such as vaadin (http://www.grails.org/plugin/vaadin), openlaszlo (http://www.grails.org/plugin/laszlo), flex (http://www.grails.org/plugin/flex) or gwt (http://www.grails.org/plugin/gwt). The latter ones basicallyl replace the simple gsp web-page rendering approach, we used in the initial version of the server. And, as I wrote before, there are also plugins that quickly let you set up reverse-ajax communication for "push" update of web pages (i.e. no browser refresh required to render new charts): http://www.grails.org/plugin/cometd   http://www.grails.org/plugin/atmosphere

Cheers,
Carsten

Regards,
Adis

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Vedran Podobnik [via Power TAC Developers] <<a href="x-msg://19/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2027273&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <a href="x-msg://19/#12ca83d52b973db7_" rel="nofollow" link="external" target="_top">[hidden email]

[...]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p2007344.html

To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email <a href="x-msg://19/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2027273&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-Power-TAC-Visualization-General-Overview-tp1986078p2027273.html