Re: the future of bazaar

Carsten Block
Administrator
What about switching to git and github? That would also give us a wiki (integrated into github) without ads as well as an issue tracker. I'd see that as a reasonable alternative.

Cheers,
Carsten

Am 18.11.10 18:52 schrieb "John Collins":

> Please see my discussion item at
> http://powertac.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Development_Roadmap#Future_of_bazaar
> and let me know what you think. I know that switching vcs at this point
> will be painful, but I'm concerned also about future pain.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Re: the future of bazaar

On 11/19/2010 02:23 AM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:
> What about switching to git and github? That would also give us a wiki
> (integrated into github) without ads as well as an issue tracker. I'd
> see that as a reasonable alternative.
>
> Cheers,
> Carsten

I like it. I have created an empty git project called
jecollins/PowerTac.git. Is that the right way to do it? Is there a way
to get rid of the jecollins part?

John

> Am 18.11.10 18:52 schrieb "John Collins":
>
>  > Please see my discussion item at
>  > http://powertac.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Development_Roadmap#Future_of_bazaar
>  > and let me know what you think. I know that switching vcs at this point
>  > will be painful, but I'm concerned also about future pain.
>  >
>  > Thanks.
>  >
>  > John

Re: the future of bazaar

ddauer

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM, jcollins [via Power TAC Developers] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I like it. I have created an empty git project called
jecollins/PowerTac.git. Is that the right way to do it? Is there a way
to get rid of the jecollins part?

John

Seems like that's the only way, so I would suggest creating a user called "powertac" and name the projects like  "server", "demoagent", "visualizer", "common" or something. This would also allow more people to administer the account if you share the password.

David

Re: the future of bazaar

OK, there is now a repo called [hidden email]:powertac/server.git (ssh
access) or https://powertac@.../powertac/server.git (http
access). David, do you want to initialize it, or should I?

Re: the future of bazaar

I have created four repositories on github. We are going to use these rather than launchpad for the simple reason that we believe git is being more actively developed than bazaar, and therefore is more appropriate for a potentially long-lived project.

The repositories are at https://github.com/powertac. They are

server

agent-framework

visualizer

domain-data

webapp

I'm sure we'll need more as we go along.

While we're at it, we now own powertac.org, so our code package hierarchy should be rooted at org.powertac.

Re: the future of bazaar

Carsten Block
Administrator
Thanks John!

That's a very nice start for github.

Cheers,
Carsten

Am 20.11.2010 um 04:48 schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:

I have created four repositories on github. We are going to use these rather than launchpad for the simple reason that we believe git is being more actively developed than bazaar, and therefore is more appropriate for a potentially long-lived project.

The repositories are at https://github.com/powertac. They are

server

agent-framework

visualizer

domain-data

webapp

I'm sure we'll need more as we go along.

While we're at it, we now own powertac.org, so our code package hierarchy should be rooted at org.powertac.

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-the-future-of-bazaar-tp1929311p1934375.html

Eva & Carsten Block
Burgunderstr. 19
79104 Freiburg

T: 0761/2144672

Out of Office AutoReply: the future of bazaar

Out of Office AutoReply: the future of bazaar

Hello,

I'm currently out of the office. I'll be back in the office on Monday, 22 November 2010.  Until then I will read my mail only sporadically or not at all. Your mail is not forwarded. If you need immediate assistance please contact Cheryl Eiting ([hidden email]). If it requires a reply, I will do so after I return to the office.

Best,

Wolf Ketter

Disclaimer
De informatie verzonden in dit e-mail bericht inclusief de bijlage(n) is vertrouwelijk en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde van dit bericht. Lees verder: http://www.eur.nl/email-disclaimer.

The information in this e-mail message is confidential and may be legally privileged. Read more: http://www.eur.nl/english/email-disclaimer.

Re: the future of bazaar

ddauer
I started setting up a Wiki in powertac/server. Wikis are created per repository and not per user, so I figured the server repository might be best unless we create another repository, e.g., "documentation" or "wiki" just for a "global" wiki. The real code documentation would of course stay within the specific repositories.

We should be aware of GitHub's wiki capabilities, which seem to be very limited but may be enough. There's the option of linking a trac installation to a repository so we could use trac's wiki functionality. The same goes for issue tracking, which basically only allows issues to be labeled like in Gmail. We could also link a MantisBT installation to a repository.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

David

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Re-the-future-of-bazaar-tp1929311p1935203.html

Re: the future of bazaar

On 11/20/2010 10:09 AM, ddauer [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:
> I started setting up a Wiki in powertac/server. Wikis are created per
> repository and not per user, so I figured the server repository might be
> best unless we create another repository, e.g., "documentation" or
> "wiki" just for a "global" wiki. The real code documentation would of
> course stay within the specific repositories.

Actually, Wolf has set up a MediaWiki at Rotterdam for our use. That is
a much more capable setup. and because Wikia is also MediaWiki it should
be possible to just copy and paste.

I suggest using the GitHub wikis for software documentation and possibly
for stories, and leave the game design, readings, and domain knowledge
in a MediaWiki setup.

> We should be aware of GitHub's wiki capabilities, which seem to be very
> limited but may be enough. There's the option of linking a trac
> installation to a repository so we could use trac's wiki
> functionality. The same goes for issue tracking, which basically only
> allows issues to be labeled like in Gmail. We could also link a MantisBT
> installation to a repository.

I have used both trac and MantisBT for issue tracking, and I like trac
better by a long shot. On the issues, putting labels on them might
actually be pretty helpful. I would like to look at it more closely
before ignoring the GitHub issue tracker, but
http://support.github.com/discussions/issues-issues/330-issue-tracker-usability
is an early indication that we might want to think about an alternative.
On the other side, I've always wanted a tracker that did this:
http://depth-first.com/articles/2009/06/15/nifty-github-features-integrated-issue-tracking/.

Wolf has several trac setups at Rotterdam; it might be fairly easy to
link one to GitHub. I'll talk with him about that next week.

http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=1935203&i=1>