Regarding March Trial

easwar1977
Hello,

  I am new to Powertac competition and I am excited to participate. I have just started to develop a small broker and it is no way going to be ready by March 27. Hence,

a) Is it necessary to participate in trial in order to qualify for future rounds ?

b) Even if I choose to participate in the March Trial, the main purpose is to get the broker working functionally well. Will that be a good criterion to participate in trial ?

Best Regards,
Easwar

Re: Regarding March Trial

turban
Hi Easwar,

Even if you just started developing your broker I would advise you to participate in the trail round. You can change the settings of your broker at any time during that round. This gives you great chances to test the performance of different configurations of your broker against other brokers.

Cheers,
Tobias

Re: Regarding March Trial

easwar1977
Thanks a lot. We will do that.

Easwar

Re: Regarding March Trial

easwar1977
Hi Tobias,

  Another question I have is, how do I submit a broker  as a jar file. Is there a upload mechanism in the Submission URL. I see only account creation. How do we submit the jar file ?

  Or Is there a different way we participate in the trials ?

Easwar

Re: Regarding March Trial

gbuijs
Hi Easwar,

During the tournaments, there is no need to upload a jar file.
This is only necessary after your broker competes in the finals tournament.

To compete in a trial (or the qualifying tournament) you need to do the following :

- You need an account on the TS, you can register here.

- Once you logged in, you need to add your broker (on the account page).
  From this page you also get the auth token, this needs go in your broker.properties.
  Along with the name of your broker as username (ignore the password setting).
  tourneyName trial_2017_03 for the first trial.
  tourneyUrl is http://ts.powertac.org:8080/TournamentScheduler/faces/brokerLogin.jsp

- Once you've added your broker, you can register your broker for the first trial here

- During all tournaments, you need to run 2 identical agents simultaneously.
  That way we can increase the amount of games in a tournament.
  On the account page, you can see if your agents are connecting to the TS (under CheckIns).

- We use IRC for quick communication during the tournament.
  See the tournament page for the channel.

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers,

Govert

Re: Regarding March Trial

susobhang70
Hi Govert,

Can the qualifying be also made like finals - that we can submit the jar and it is run on your end? Because one can have internet issues (especially as seen during these trails in case of our broker VidyutVanika), and it affects a lot since one can't login back into the same simulation.

Regards,
Susobhan

Re: Regarding March Trial

Dear Susobhan -

It is sad to see that you are having such severe networking problems. Is this a common issue at your institution?
susobhan wrote
Can the qualifying be also made like finals - that we can submit the jar and it is run on your end? Because one can have internet issues (especially as seen during these trails in case of our broker VidyutVanika), and it affects a lot since one can't login back into the same simulation.
We have never run agents on behalf of participants in any competition. We don't have the machine or personnel resources to take on this responsibility, and we don't want to create a situation where a team disputes the outcome of games or of a tournament because of the way we may have set up and run their agents. A number of teams have had networking problems early on, but all have been able to resolve them before the finals.

The server is supposed to allow an agent to reconnect to a running game after a short interruption, but it cannot buffer all the outgoing messages for an agent hoping it will eventually reconnect. At one time it worked that way and we kept having memory overflow problems. As a result, once an outgoing buffer exceeds a threshold, the disconnected broker is removed from the game and the buffer is flushed.

If there is anything we can do to help with your networking problems, we are happy to try. Unfortunately we are not able to run your broker for you.

Best of luck -