Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Porag
Hi

I can understand that a broker can submit balancing orders to the server if he has some controllable capacity. I also understand that the BalancingTransaction is sent from server where we can our balancing payments (vcg+imbalance payments) for the timeslot.

I am confused about the BalancingControlEvent. Does a broker need to send this to the server? If so, what does the payment field actually represents? Can anyone please clarify what is the relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder?

Thanks in advance

Re: Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Hello, Porag -
Porag wrote
I can understand that a broker can submit balancing orders to the server if he has some controllable capacity. I also understand that the BalancingTransaction is sent from server where we can our balancing payments (vcg+imbalance payments) for the timeslot.

I am confused about the BalancingControlEvent. Does a broker need to send this to the server? If so, what does the payment field actually represents? Can anyone please clarify what is the relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder?
I think the Javadoc on this is clear. The BalancingControlEvent is generated by the DU to inform the Broker that some portion of its regulation capacity has been exercised. The payment field is the amount paid by/to the customer, not to the broker.

Regulation, and therefore BalancingControlEvents, can be used in two cases: (1) if the customer has subscribed to a tariff with a RegulationRate, then the payment is determined by the rate; (2) if the broker has issued a BalancingOrder against a tariff that does not include a RegulationRate, and the customer reports non-zero available regulation capacity that clears the balancing market. This can make sense for tariffs with Rates having maxCurtailment != 0.

Re: Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Porag
Thank you, John. It really helped. Much clearer now. One last question is there any charge included when the broker submits a balancing order? Or it is free like submitting wholesale orders?

Thanks

Re: Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Porag wrote
Thank you, John. It really helped. Much clearer now. One last question is there any charge included when the broker submits a balancing order? Or it is free like submitting wholesale orders?
There is no fee for submitting a BalancingOrder. However, if you submit one against a tariff that does not specify curtailment, it will be ignored. If you submit one against a tariff that has a RegulationRate, it will also be ignored, because the RegulationRate already contains the information in a BalancingOrder.

Re: Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Porag
I think I have some confusion.

For STORAGE type tariffs, if I want to submit balancing orders :
1. I have to publish a tariff without up-regulation and down-regulation rates
2. And submit 2 balancing orders for that tariff defining the up-regulation and down-regulation rates?

Please let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance

Re: Relationship between BalancingControlEvent and BalancingOrder

Hello, Porag -
Porag wrote
I think I have some confusion.

For STORAGE type tariffs, if I want to submit balancing orders :
1. I have to publish a tariff without up-regulation and down-regulation rates
2. And submit 2 balancing orders for that tariff defining the up-regulation and down-regulation rates?
Close, but not quite correct. If you issue a tariff with a regulation rate, there is no need to issue balancing orders. The data in the regulation rate is used in place of BalancingOrders. Indeed, a BalancingOrder for such a tariff will be ignored by the server.

Also, only "slow" regulation rates are supported at this time, so your tariff should have just one RegulationRate that specifies both the up-regulation and down-regulation price. The signs, as all signs in Tariffs and Rates, are interpreted from the customer's perspective.