Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

Currently, the sim starts at midnight, and tariff publication happens every six hours, when timeslot mod 6 = 0. So the first time brokers can realistically get their initial tariffs published is six hours after sim start. I wonder if it would be better to make the first publication event be one or two timeslots after the start, rather than six. Does this make sense?

Re: Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

markus
Makes sense to me. Given the bootstrap information, nearly everyone will have an initial tariff lined up by the time the simulation starts.

If you wanted to avoid exceptions to the "timeslot mod 6" rule you could also accept tariff postings between the bootstrap phase and the simulation start. That way, the first tariff publishing round could take place in timeslot zero. That seems more consistent, but it also looks like more work than adding an extra publishing round at timeslot 1 or 2.

Cheers,

Markus

Am 21.11.11 05:15, schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:
Currently, the sim starts at midnight, and tariff publication happens every six hours, when timeslot mod 6 = 0. So the first time brokers can realistically get their initial tariffs published is six hours after sim start. I wonder if it would be better to make the first publication event be one or two timeslots after the start, rather than six. Does this make sense?

Re: Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

markus wrote
Makes sense to me. Given the bootstrap information, nearly everyone will have an initial tariff lined up by the time the simulation starts.

If you wanted to avoid exceptions to the "timeslot mod 6" rule you could also accept tariff postings between the bootstrap phase and the simulation start. That way, the first tariff publishing round could take place in timeslot zero. That seems more consistent, but it also looks like more work than adding an extra publishing round at timeslot 1 or 2.
Actually, I was thinking of changing the rule to timeslot mod 6 = 1, so publication times would be 1:00, 7:00, 13:00, 19:00. That way we don't have to do anything fancy in timeslot 0. Make sense?

Re: Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

chris.flath
grampajohn wrote
I was thinking of handling it the same way. The only "sacrifice" that arises from doint it this way is that the brokers' inactive period is prolonged by one hour. This seems reasonable as the game lenght is anyhow not fixed in the sense of a total number of hours.

Re: Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

grampajohn wrote
I was thinking of changing the rule to timeslot mod 6 = 1, so publication times would be 1:00, 7:00, 13:00, 19:00. That way we don't have to do anything fancy in timeslot 0. Make sense?
I would very much appreciate input from the customer-modeling people on how this would affect the current customer models. Thanks.

Re: Relationship between sim start and first tariff-publication event

grampajohn wrote
I was thinking of changing the tariff publication rule to timeslot mod 6 = 1, so publication times would be 1:00, 7:00, 13:00, 19:00. That way we don't have to do anything fancy in timeslot 0. Make sense?
Rather than decide what the offset should be and hardcode the result, I've decided to make it configurable. There's a bit more explanation in the issue writeup.

John