Selling on the wholesale Market

turban
Hi,
I'm just getting started with the Power TAC.

I am facing a problem I can't figure out. I want to sell energy on the wholesale market, so I create orders with a negative mWH amount and a positive limit price.

e.g.
<order id="200000410" timeslot="439" mWh="-1.2989628377509463" limitPrice="0.3730548967015096">
  <broker>Sample</broker>
</order>

But I never make any profit on the wholesale market (exluding the debits from distribution, imbalance,...). I only sell energy.
Here is an example of an cleared trade:

<market-tx id="30753" postedTimeslot="418" price="4.756330324994423" mWh="-1.2989628377509463" timeslot="439">
  <broker>Sample</broker>
</market-tx>

<trade id="30765" timeslot="439" executionPrice="4.756330324994423" executionMWh="1.2989628377509463">
  <dateExecuted>
    <iMillis>1256637600000</iMillis>
  </dateExecuted>
</trade>

Do I miss anything?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Selling on the wholesale Market

Urban -

Urban wrote
I'm just getting started with the Power TAC.

I am facing a problem I can't figure out. I want to sell energy on the wholesale market, so I create orders with a negative mWH amount and a positive limit price.
But I never make any profit on the wholesale market (excluding the debits from distribution, imbalance,...). I only sell energy.
Here is an example of an cleared trade:

<market-tx ...

<trade ...

Do I miss anything?
I am afraid I don't understand your question. It looks like your broker is indeed selling energy, at a clearing price considerable higher than your limit price. If you are selling it, then presumably you are also buying it from someone, right? Or are you just creating a negative energy balance? If so, your imbalance will then be made up in the balancing process at a much higher price than what you got by selling it. You can see those transactions also - they start with <balance-tx...>

Probably I have not correctly guessed your question?

Re: Selling on the wholesale Market

turban
Hi,
I’m creating some imbalance and I’m buying energy from producers, not on the wholesale market).

My Question is not why I make overall deficit, I wonder why I make deficit on the wholesale market (see picture 1 and picture 2).

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding these graphs (picture 1), but it seems, that I am selling energy (my traded energy is negative), but also lose money (my “price” is negative). This seems not consistent, since the default broker is buying energy (positive traded energy) and paying for it (also negative “price”).

Picture 2 seems consistent in this matter, my traded energy is negative and my price positive, this also matches to the log I posted.

Picture 1: http://de.tinypic.com/r/nmm58p/8
Picture 2: http://de.tinypic.com/r/35lwzdz/8

Thanks in advanced

Re: Selling on the wholesale Market

Urban -

I suspect you are not seeing all the transactions. Your broker is paying distribution fees, and it is probably paying some balancing fees, if the amount you sell on the wholesale market is not the same as what you are buying in each timeslot. Both of those fees are likely negative.

Since you are just buying in the retail market and selling in the wholesale market, your balance will depend on the quality of your predictions. That's because the wholesale market trades in future timeslots, but the actual amounts you buy from customers in the retail market is only known in the current timeslot. You can see the imbalances on the visualizer by looking at the per-timeslot graph in the balancing market, and you can see your distribution quantities in the distribution tab.

Re: Selling on the wholesale Market

turban

I’m aware that I have to pay imbalance and distribution fees and that these fees are negative. I’m only wondering, why does the “wholesale graph” (cumulative or per- timeslot) show a negative revenue. Are the fees (distribution, imbalance, etc.) and the retail orders considered in this graph?

If I'm just interpreting the “wholesale graph”, in my understanding, the “traded energy” curve should be negative (since I’m selling energy) and the revenue should be positive.

Thanks for your help so far.

Re: Selling on the wholesale Market

OK, now I understand your question. Unfortunately, I have never tried to carefully validate the data in those graphs. Perhaps Jurica or Tomislav could address this issue for you.

Re: Selling on the wholesale Market

jurica.babic
Hi Urban,

Thanks for spotting this!

I have made a fix on Viz regarding this issue (#744).

The master branch version of Viz should now properly display the aforementioned wholesale graphs ("per timeslot" and "aggregate").

FYI, yes, the wholesale page takes only wholesale transactions into consideration.

Please let me know if you find any other inconsistency in Visualizer.

Thanks much.

Cheers,
Jurica