Set number of powertyp/population

Michael
Hi all,

i get the following powertypes listed using the logtool:

ELECTRIC_VEHICLE: 123
SOLAR_PRODUCTION: 7003
CONSUMPTION: 50152
BATTERY_STORAGE: 30
WIND_PRODUCTION: 90
INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION: 104
THERMAL_STORAGE_CONSUMPTION: 9

I guess it´s the usual settup, as the same values are here: http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Identifying-Customer-Types-td4026379.html (Thread "Identifying Customer Types")
Is it possible to change this settup, e.g. the number of INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION to 1500?

Btw: Does the new visualizer (nice designe :) ) get more functionallity, especially the possibility to show the customer-types that subscribed to a broker or how the customers split up to different brokers / tarifs? (there were pie charts in the old visualizer showing this)

thanks!

greetings,
Michael

Re: Set number of powertyp/population

erikkemperman
Hi Michael,

Just to answer the part about the new visualizer: work is underway to add functionality, especially missing features compared to the old one. Unfortunately there have been some issues in other parts of the PowerTAC system that needed to be addressed.

For the time being we will support both visualizers, and I expect this to remain so at least until we have achieved feature parity.

gr,
Erik

Re: Set number of powertyp/population

Hello, Michael -
powerTACatFIMuniaugsburg wrote
Is it possible to change this settup, e.g. the number of INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION to 1500?
Unfortunately, all of our INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION models are bottom-up models, which means scalability is limited in terms of the customer count. Background: bottom-up models represent individual customers with their individual resources and behaviors, while top-down models represent arbitrary-size populations with collections of random variables.

On the other hand, individual bottom-up models can themselves be scaled to represent multiple instances having identical behaviors. This works up to a point, as long as the number of such models still gives enough variation to preserve reasonable population behavior. The INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION models are household-customer and officecomplex-customer. Note that the STORAGE types, including EVs and thermal storage, can also subscribe to INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION tariffs. All of these are bottom-up models. The battery storage model won't do anything under such a tariff. It has no preference for a particular charge level, and so it will never charge the battery.

The populations of the existing bottom-up models could also be increased, of course; the result would be somewhat slower server operation. This can be done through the config files without code modification. You would be welcome to multiply those populations by 15 and see what happens. In the worst case, the server will pause in most timeslots, and almost certainly in every timeslot where tariff-evaluation is invoked (every six timeslots by default). But it should still run correctly.

It should be possible to modify the top-down factored-customer models to handle curtailments and therefore respond appropriately to INTERRUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION tariffs, since they already have the ability to shift consumption patterns in response to variable prices. It is also possible, of course, to build new factored-customer models for EVs and other interruptible resources. All that's needed is a volunteer with the interest, skills, and time. If you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me.

Re: Set number of powertyp/population

Michael
Hello Erik & John,

thank you for your respond.

So i´ll go on analysing the serverlogs until the visualizer is updated.

grampajohn wrote
 This can be done through the config files without code modification. You would be welcome to multiply those populations by 15 and see what happens.
I´d like to do that. In the server-distribution-master i found the config-file (server.properties), so i have to do some changes here i guess:

Or am i just searching at the wrong place?
I have downloaded the powertac-server as well and found the code to the housholds, office-complex etc.

As i´m quite unexperienced with such a big project like powerTAC, i´ll do my best to understand the mechanics and run simulations with some different settings. If i feel more familiar to the project and improve my coding skills, i can imagine to help with the development ;)

greetings,
Michael

Re: Set number of powertyp/population

Michael
Anybody out there who can help me? Haven´t found a solution so far.

And there is another isue:
Is it possible that the customers evaluate the tarifs every timeslot (not only every 6 timeslots by default)?

Greetings
Michael

Re: Set number of powertyp/population

Hello, Michael -
Michael wrote
I´d like to do that (modify the config files). In the server-distribution-master i found the config-file (server.properties), so i have to do some changes here i guess:

Or am i just searching at the wrong place?
I have downloaded the powertac-server as well and found the code to the housholds, office-complex etc.

As i´m quite unexperienced with such a big project like powerTAC, i´ll do my best to understand the mechanics and run simulations with some different settings. If i feel more familiar to the project and improve my coding skills, i can imagine to help with the development ;)
I apologize for losing track of your request. Here is a method that should work, by modifying lines in server-distribution/config/server.properties and adding new module-specific config files to server-distribution/config:

You can specify a different filename for the household-customer and/or officecomplex-customer configuration. These models were built before we developed our standardized configuration scheme, and so all you can do with them at the top level (without modifying code) is to specify a different config file. The file must be in the runtime classpath, and I believe the server-distribution directory is on the classpath. So you should be able to uncomment the line householdcustomer.householdCustomerService.configFile1 and specify a filename like config/myHHC-config.properties. Then you could copy the file VillageType1.properties from github or from the household-customer jar file into server-distribution/config, then rename and modify it. The populations are near the bottom; there are currently four groups of 10. You could make each of those be 50 or 100 instead. The same thing should work with officecomplex-customer, for the file OfficeComplexType1.properties.

You can modify the electric vehicle, cold storage, and lift truck models in much the same way, except that for these models it's enough to just specify the config changes with respect to the default configurations given in evcustomer/src/main/resources/config and customer-models/src/main/resources/config. All of these are in xml format; the meaning of a config item is a function of the path from the document root to the item, so you can set new values from a top-level config file by re-creating the same paths and just give new values. If you add a new config file to server-distribution/config, it must have a name ending in '.properties' (in which case it must be formatted as a properties file), or '.xml' (in which case it must be formatted as xml).

I hope this helps.

Re: Set number of powertyp/population

Michael wrote
Is it possible that the customers evaluate the tarifs every timeslot (not only every 6 timeslots by default)?
Yes. It may slow the server down a bit, but the interval is specified in server.properties as

#tariffmarket.tariffMarketService.publicationInterval = 6

Just uncomment that line and change 6 to some other value. I doubt that all possible values have been tested, so if you run into trouble please let us know.