Snapshot update confusion

Douglas
As per my last post, I got 6.0 working, had scheduled week off, came back, tried to run it just to make sure it was still working.

My 6.0 tried to update to 6.2, although as far as I know you've only released 6.1. It complains that the 6.2 snapshot is not present at https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/powertac/server-main/, which, when I looked at in a browser, only had 6.0.

I've tried reinstalling it from scratch as per the instructions here: https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/wiki/Getting-started, but nothing seems to work.

What can I do to get it working again?

Re: Snapshot update confusion

Douglas -

I apologize for the confusion. It's partly a consequence of my attempt to avoid disruption by making last week's release be 0.6.1 rather than 0.6.0.

Douglas wrote
As per my last post, I got 6.0 working, had scheduled week off, came back, tried to run it just to make sure it was still working.

My 6.0 tried to update to 6.2, although as far as I know you've only released 6.1. It complains that the 6.2 snapshot is not present at https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/powertac/server-main/, which, when I looked at in a browser, only had 6.0.

I've tried reinstalling it from scratch as per the instructions here: https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/wiki/Getting-started, but nothing seems to work.

What can I do to get it working again?
We have released 0.6.1, which you can get from https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/downloads. Released modules are hosted at Maven Central rather than in the Sonatype snapshot repo. But the release process removes the corresponding snapshots, so there is no longer a 0.6.1-SNAPSHOT version available. The 0.6.0-SNAPSHOT modules are still available because we never did a release of 0.6.0. I will remove those eventually, after we are confident that nobody depends on them.

The release process also bumps the version ID on the snapshot, so the current HEAD at github is labeled as 0.6.2-SNAPSHOT. There are currently no differences (at least none of which I am aware) between 0.6.1 and 0.6.2-SNAPSHOT, so I did not feel a need to deploy the snapshot to the Sonatype repo.

So unless you are engaged in server development, you really should be using the released 0.6.1 version. Just grab the download packages, and they will pull everything down from Maven Central.

Re: Snapshot update confusion

Douglas
I've removed what I had and redownloaded from your link and the server and the broker are both working. It's running now.

Thanks :)

Re: Snapshot update confusion

Douglas
I do need to do some server development, where do I get the working server from?

Re: Snapshot update confusion

gbuijs
Hi Douglas,

Just follow the instructions on the getting started page.

For people not needing to do development, you can use the release packages : downloads.

Regards, Govert

This post was updated on .
When I tried this (I have retried as I'm writing this to make sure), specifically this instruction: 'cd powertac-server/server-master; mvn install', it complains that it 'Could not resolve dependencies for project org.powertac:server-master:pom:0.6.2-SNAPSHOT'

Re: Snapshot update confusion

Douglas wrote
When I tried this, specifically this instruction: 'cd powertac-server/server-master; mvn install', it complains that it 'Could not resolve dependencies for project org.powertac:server-master:pom:0.6.2-SNAPSHOT'
Hi, Douglas -

This is happening because server-master depends on common, and I have not deployed common-0.6.2-SNAPSHOT to the snapshot repo. I was reluctant to do that, because there may be some changes to this module before the next release, but I've decided it's worth doing just to reduce confusion for folks like you. The alternative is to do a local mvn install of the common module when this happens. I'll see if I can clear that up in the getting-started page, but I may not get to it right away.

Re: Snapshot update confusion

I have now deployed common-0.6.2-SNAPSHOT to the Sonatype snapshot repo.

John