Specification question: access to total supply and demand data

Specification question: access to total supply and demand data

The current game specification calls for brokers to receive information on total supply and demand at the end of each timeslot. Currently we do not collect or provide that information, although it would not be difficult to implement. I have two questions:

  1. How important is this information to brokers, assuming it's not broken down by customer model?
  2. Is this information that's generally available in the real world? My guess is that only the total net load would be available. We are not providing that either, but we could.
For the moment I'm going to delete this feature from the specification. I would appreciate your feedback.

Re: Specification question: access to total supply and demand data

markus
I checked some of the ISO websites for North America, and they do give breakdowns on the production commitments and demands they receive. See, for example, the morning report of the New England ISO (http://www.iso-ne.com/sys_ops/mornrpt/index.html, lines G and J) and the Adequacy Report of the Ontario IESO (http://reports.ieso.ca/public/Adequacy/PUB_Adequacy_20111117_v12.xml).

I see two places where this information could be helpful to brokers:

  - It is an indication of how expensive it will be for the broker to let the ISO iron out net imbalances in the broker's portfolio. Past balancing charges will serve the same purpose, however.

  - More importantly, it will allow the broker to gauge the overall demand served by competing brokers. While the broker receives total demand information initially as part of the bootstrapping process, its visibility is limited to its own tariff transactions during the game, if memory serves.

Overall, I think it's an interesting piece of information, but not the one with the highest priority.

Cheers,

Markus

Am 17.11.11 05:16, schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:

The current game specification calls for brokers to receive information on total supply and demand at the end of each timeslot. Currently we do not collect or provide that information, although it would not be difficult to implement. I have two questions:

  1. How important is this information to brokers, assuming it's not broken down by customer model?
  2. Is this information that's generally available in the real world? My guess is that only the total net load would be available. We are not providing that either, but we could.
For the moment I'm going to delete this feature from the specification. I would appreciate your feedback.

Re: Specification question: access to total supply and demand data

chris.flath
I agree with Markus' statement that the info is nice to have but to some extent it feels a bit redundant:

- Brokers should have a feeling for total demand from the bootstrap data
- Brokers can estimate the balancing payments from their own payments - they would be able to estimate them more precisely if they knew about the net load

It seems to me that it boils down to a question of taste how much transparency should be available concerning the balancing.

Re: Specification question: access to total supply and demand data

I have added issue #431 to track this. I think it should be at least optionally available, because then someone could use the simulation to answer the question about how important it actually is. I also think it's low priority but should be easy to implement.

John