Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

russell
I am failing, without error, to run the logtool as of today. I am suddenly getting the following output and unsure where to begin debugging...

log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.powertac.logtool.LogtoolCore).
MDO on 21842:org.powertac.common.TariffSpecification::1878::new::1876::CONSUMPTION

I have yet to successfully google what MDO is but it appears to be stopping the processing.

Re: Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

Hello, Russell -

The error message is generated on line 151 of logtool.LogtoolCore. It happens when the logtool sees the ID of an object and cannot find the referenced object needed to reconstruct the state.

In this case, TariffSpecification (id=1878) needs Broker id=1876 in order to construct a correct TariffSpecification instance. If you are inspecting a correct state log, the broker should appear earlier in the state log, and should have been indexed by the logtool under its id value.

So I suspect your state log is corrupted. Either that, or there's something strange going on. Are you running the 1.4.0-SNAPSHOT version? What game are you inspecting? Which analyzer are you using?

Re: Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

russell
Howdy, John,

I am working with the older 1.3.3 branch of the server with games that I have run where I'm looking specifically at different interruptible brokers.

Re: Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

russell wrote
I am working with the older 1.3.3 branch of the server with games that I have run where I'm looking specifically at different interruptible brokers.
Is this just one state log that shows this problem, or does it happen with all your logs? Have you tried running the logtool over one of the state logs from the 2016 finals?

If it's just that one file, then it's reasonable to assume it's corrupted somehow. Otherwise, let me know where I can download a log that's failing and I'll try it.

Re: Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

Dear Russell and all -

This problem should now be resolved. It was a regression arising from a change that was supposed to clean up the state logs. Thanks for reporting the problem.

Re: Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

russell
Dear John,

Is there a new pull to the git repo? When I look in git it says the last update was in October...

Re: Strange "error" with logtool analyzer?

Sorry, Russell - the MDO problem was in the server, not in the broker or logtool. So any server logs generated recently, since the refactoring last month, will be bad. New code will generate correct logs, but it will not enable reading logs generated during the period the bug existed in the server. So you may need to run some games over again. I hope that's not too much of a problem. If you are desparate, you might be able to successfully hand-edit the log files to add the ::new:: lines for DefaultBroker and Buyer. Run a new game and see what they look like in a correct log.

Does this make sense?