Tariff publication process

Issue #121 describes a problem with the existing tariff publication implementation that Prashant raised recently. I have worked up an alternative tariff publication process, described in some detail at https://github.com/powertac/powertac-server/wiki/Tariff-publication-story. Please take a look and let me know if you see any difficulties with this. If I do not hear any objections, I will try to get this implemented by mid-week this week.

Re: Tariff publication process

Prashant Reddy
The new story and diagram look good to me.  Thanks, - Prashant

Re: Tariff publication process

OK, here's the next question: If new tariffs are batched and sent to competing brokers at the same times as they are sent to customers, then what about tariff revocation and hourly-charge updates? Are they also batched? Customers can see hourly charges immediately. Tariff revocations could be batched, but right now it's immediate. I'm inclined to keep these features as is, with immediate notification to competitors. Does this seem reasonable?

Re: Tariff publication process

Prashant Reddy
It does seem reasonable for those to be immediate.  But, the notification to competitors is only for the revocations, right?  I'm assuming actual hourly charges are not published to competitors.

Thanks,
Prashant

Re: Tariff publication process

Yes, competitors would be notified of revocations. I don't have a strong opinion about publishing the hourly charges, but in the real world it would not be hard for competitors to obtain that information.

John