Thoughts on a non-backward-compatible upgrade

Thoughts on a non-backward-compatible upgrade

Colleagues -

Those of you who have started working with the logtool will know that to use it, you need a forked version of the common module. This is because there's a small format change in one of the xml messages between brokers and the sim server. Specifically, the corrent common module specifies a fixed Rate with "isFixed=true", but the new version uses "fixed=true". If the broker is using one version and the server the other, your fixed-rate tariffs will be rejected because they do not validate correctly as variable-rate tariffs.

The ideal solution to this problem would be to find a way to not change the name of this field, but I have not been able to make that work. Therefore, sooner or later we will need to merge the logtool branch into the master branch, and update both brokers and the server. The question is, when should we do that?

My thinking is that we should make an 0.6.3 release soon, before the holidays, after a few outstanding items are cleaned up. This would be the final release in the 0.6 series. Then early in January we would start the 0.7 series, and include the change at that point. This means that an 0.6 broker would not work with an 0.7 server. We might even start including a version tag in the broker login message starting with 0.7, so the server could let you know if your broker is incompatible, rather than just rejecting some of its tariffs.

I would like to know your opinions on this issue, and/or other ideas for handling this change (or making it go away).

Re: Thoughts on a non-backward-compatible upgrade

markus
I'd say go for it. The required change on the broker side is miniscule, and there will be lots of opportunities for testing before the AAAI tournament in July.

Cheers,

Markus

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Thoughts-on-a-non-backward-compatible-upgrade-tp4025314.html