Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

Jonathan
Hi... we are going to work with variable rate tariffs (i.e. set one price from 8:00 to 12:00 and another price per kwh from 12:00 to 23:00), however I have checked the documentation so far and I did not find some model considering these attributes to assign different costs to different variable rate tariffs. I looked for this as well on the code some time ago and could not find it in the server software, but perhaps I did not looked in the correct place. I also found this post from a couple years ago:

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Customer-evaluation-of-variable-tariff-risk-td3140983.html

It states that the model does not consider specifically these variable tariffs. My question is if Power TAC is considering now variable tariffs. By this I mean if customers consider the price of the energy per time-of-the-day range to decide which tariff to choose taking into account their consumption patterns.

Thanks for any insight on this topic!

Re: Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

This post was updated on .
Hello, Jonathan -

Variable-rate tariffs do indeed work. Customers provide a usage profile, and the TariffEvaluator prices that usage profile. The code is mostly in server-interface/../common.TariffEvaluator.forecastCost(), in common/../common/TariffEvaluationHelper.estimateCost(), and in common/../common/Tariff.getUsageCharge(). The algorithm is given in the specification. Customers are responsible for initializing the TariffEvaluator with customer-specific parameters, such as their tolerance for the hassle of variable-rate tariffs, and their predicted usage profiles. The usage profiles can be tariff-specific, but most customers so far do not compose tariff-specific usage profiles.

Re: Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

Jonathan
Hi John... it is useful. I just have one more doubt on what you mentioned:

"The usage profiles can be tariff-specific, but must customers so far do not compose tariff-specific usage profiles. "

As far as I understand, an usage (power) profile for a customer lets it know an estimate on how much energy it will require and when (time of the day, day of the week... ) and therefore the customer should compare this pattern against the variable time-dependant rates given in a specific tariff in order to determine its convenience. Is not this a tariff-specific approach or I understood something wrong?

Thanks again John, have a good day.

Re: Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

Jonathan -

That should have said "most customers do not compose tariff-specific usage profiles".

In other words, if after subscribing to a time-of-use tariff they would change their behavior and thereby achieve some savings, the evaluation will not show that. It will just show the cost assuming they do not change their behaviors. As a result, they may undervalue a time-of-use tariff. Note that this does not apply to variable-rate tariffs, since the customer has no way of knowing what the rates in the future will be. For that, we have the "realized-price" scheme whereby the tariff market keeps track of how much customers are actually paying, and customers weigh this value more heavily with increasing quantities of energy sold under that tariff.

Fixing this is a non-trivial challenge, but most of the needed code is already written. It does the shifting in case a variable-rate tariff is already subscribed. I would be happy to work with someone who is interested in working on it. I have opened issue #795 to track this problem.

Re: Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

Jonathan
Hi again John. I understand that right now, when a customer evaluates a tariff that changes its price over a day (or a week) the customer (or some of them) calculate the tariffs projected cost by comparing it to its current usage profile, and does not consider a "what if" scenario where it could change its usage profile in order to achieve a better result compared to keeping its current usage profile. This is an issue that depends on the customer model. However this makes me think of another situation.

Is Power TAC modeling the situation where a customer, once suscribed to a tariff, changes its usage profile to match a pricing profile? For instance, by shifting its current peak consumption at say 18:00hrs to 20:00hrs if the tariff's pricing profile is cheaper around this time? I dont mean considering this posibility when evaluating a tariff (as described on the first paragraph) but actually executing the change once suscribed to a tariff.

Thanks John, have a good day.

Re: Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

Jonathan wrote
Hi again John. I understand that right now, when a customer evaluates a tariff that changes its price over a day (or a week) the customer (or some of them) calculate the tariffs projected cost by comparing it to its current usage profile, and does not consider a "what if" scenario where it could change its usage profile in order to achieve a better result compared to keeping its current usage profile. This is an issue that depends on the customer model. However this makes me think of another situation.
At this time, several models do in fact compose tariff-specific usage profiles. These include the cold-storage and lift-truck models (in the customer-models module), and (I believe) the household-customer and officecomplex-customer modules. Also, I believe Daniel Urieli has updated the factored-customer model to do this correctly, but his work is not yet fully integrated into the server. We expect to have this done within the next 30 days or less. I believe the EV model will also have this capability very soon. All this code is on the HEAD of the master branch of github, but has not yet been "deployed". This means you won't see that code unless you are working in a source environment. You can either run the server directly inside your IDE (Eclipse or whatever) or you can do a local mvn install and run it using mvn. There is really nothing stopping me from deploying, but I was hoping to hear from at least one other user that it's working OK.
Is Power TAC modeling the situation where a customer, once suscribed to a tariff, changes its usage profile to match a pricing profile? For instance, by shifting its current peak consumption at say 18:00hrs to 20:00hrs if the tariff's pricing profile is cheaper around this time? I dont mean considering this posibility when evaluating a tariff (as described on the first paragraph) but actually executing the change once suscribed to a tariff.
Again, some models definitely do this, and some definitely do not (yet). I know that the lift-truck, household-customer, and officecomplex-customer models do this now. The cold-storage and evcustomer models will do it very soon, and again I believe Daniel's updates to factored-customer do this correctly. So we fully expect to have all or nearly all the models adjusting their consumption according to variable-rate or TOU tariffs well before the start of the qualifying round.

Is this the answer you were hoping for?

Re: Variable Hourly Rate Tariffs

Jonathan
Completely... Thank you very much John!