Weather glitches in final round

Dear participants in the 2020 final round --

We've had a couple different problems in the final round which will require re-running a few games. First, the weather server has had connectivity problems, and four games (848, 849, 855, and 974) have had errors due (we believe) to failure to receive weather data on time. Second, we have been using Phoenix weather for the first time in competition, and it appears that during August the air conditioning load sometimes runs off the end of the wholesale price curve, causing amazingly high prices, especially for imbalance. In one game, two agents had losses in the range of -10^14. Those games are 855 and 869, so we will re-run those with a different weather source.

We would welcome ideas on how to manage the wholesale supply curve to avoid this problem in the future. In the real world, capacity gets adjusted seasonally (by adjusting schedules for plant maintenance outages, for example) to accommodate extreme weather. To do that in Power TAC, we would have to pre-fetch weather data further into the future and adjust capacity during periods of extreme weather. This would have to be done beyond the 24h trading horizon. A simpler approach might be to analyze our collection of weather sources and compute capacity scale factors for each one.

Re: Weather glitches in final round

gbuijs
Due to pausing for investigating and rerunning the games, this also mean the tournament might run a little longer. It might not stop before Saturday the 14th.