Wiki choice

Carsten Block
Administrator
> As John suggested, for technical server documentation, we'll started using (and loving) the github wiki.
>
> The unbeatable advantage: You can completely check out the wiki as another github file repository, which essentially allows you the organize and edit all wiki files (simple text files) offline in your preferred text editor and to then merge it back in into the online version (which might have changed in the mean time) using the full power of git's branch and merge capabilities. Like this I can now edit wiki files in my preferred text editor (which even has markdown support) and I can also full-text search the complete wiki even while being offline (and as regular commuter I'm oftentimes offline).
>
> Try it out yourself at least once before you start migrating the old wikia content to the new media wiki.
>
> Cheers,
> Carsten

Re: Wiki choice

On 11/29/2010 08:25 AM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:

>  > As John suggested, for technical server documentation, we'll started
> using (and loving) the github wiki.
>  >
>  > The unbeatable advantage: You can completely check out the wiki as
> another github file repository, which essentially allows you the
> organize and edit all wiki files (simple text files) offline in your
> preferred text editor and to then merge it back in into the online
> version (which might have changed in the mean time) using the full power
> of git's branch and merge capabilities. Like this I can now edit wiki
> files in my preferred text editor (which even has markdown support) and
> I can also full-text search the complete wiki even while being offline
> (and as regular commuter I'm oftentimes offline).
>  >
>  > Try it out yourself at least once before you start migrating the old
> wikia content to the new media wiki.

This sounds excellent. Thanks for working this out, Carsten.

Here's what I suggest:

- The technical material, including architecture and design, and
anything below that, should be on the github wiki, as Carsten suggests.
This would also include the following sections from Wikia:
   - getting started
   - development policies
   - development roadmap
   - architecture, blueprints
   - roles and tasks
   - team meetings

- The mediawiki at http://www.powertac.org/wiki will become the public
documentation for game participants, supplementing a (developing) formal
specification document. From Wikia, this includes game design and
background reading material, along with much of the detailed modeling
discussion above the level of implementation. Basically, if it's
material that a participant would want to see, then it should be on the
mediawiki.

So the next step is to migrate material over, and empty out the Wikia
site as we go. Please do not add new material to the Wikia site.

Thanks.

Re: Wiki choice

achryso
I would like to ask a question if I may.

I have implemented the household models and I have written my wiki pages.
I have put them under the Agent Blueprints, as they were meant to be, in
both wikias.

Now, with the new github wiki running as well, where should I put them. I
should note that, if you haven't read the pages, are written in such way
so that the players can understand how my models work.

Thank you in advance.

---
Antonios Chrysopoulos
PhD Student
Intelligent Systems and Software Engineering Labgroup
(http://issel.ee.auth.gr)
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki 54124, Greece

Phone: +30 2310 99 6349
Fax  : +30 2310 99 6398
Email: [hidden email]

> On 11/29/2010 08:25 AM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:
>>  > As John suggested, for technical server documentation, we'll started
>> using (and loving) the github wiki.
>>  >
>>  > The unbeatable advantage: You can completely check out the wiki as
>> another github file repository, which essentially allows you the
>> organize and edit all wiki files (simple text files) offline in your
>> preferred text editor and to then merge it back in into the online
>> version (which might have changed in the mean time) using the full power
>> of git's branch and merge capabilities. Like this I can now edit wiki
>> files in my preferred text editor (which even has markdown support) and
>> I can also full-text search the complete wiki even while being offline
>> (and as regular commuter I'm oftentimes offline).
>>  >
>>  > Try it out yourself at least once before you start migrating the old
>> wikia content to the new media wiki.
>
> This sounds excellent. Thanks for working this out, Carsten.
>
> Here's what I suggest:
>
> - The technical material, including architecture and design, and
> anything below that, should be on the github wiki, as Carsten suggests.
> This would also include the following sections from Wikia:
>    - getting started
>    - development policies
>    - development roadmap
>    - architecture, blueprints
>    - roles and tasks
>    - team meetings
>
> - The mediawiki at http://www.powertac.org/wiki will become the public
> documentation for game participants, supplementing a (developing) formal
> specification document. From Wikia, this includes game design and
> background reading material, along with much of the detailed modeling
> discussion above the level of implementation. Basically, if it's
> material that a participant would want to see, then it should be on the
> mediawiki.
>
> So the next step is to migrate material over, and empty out the Wikia
> site as we go. Please do not add new material to the Wikia site.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Re: Wiki choice

On 12/01/2010 05:15 AM, achryso [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:
> I would like to ask a question if I may.
>
> I have implemented the household models and I have written my wiki pages.
> I have put them under the Agent Blueprints, as they were meant to be, in
> both wikias.
>
> Now, with the new github wiki running as well, where should I put them. I
> should note that, if you haven't read the pages, are written in such way
> so that the players can understand how my models work.

If the content would be interesting to participants, or is relevant to
understanding how the simulation works from a participant viewpoint,
then it should be in the powertac.org wiki. Material that is primarily
relevant to developers should be in the github wiki.

> [...]
>  > mediawiki.
>  >
>  > So the next step is to migrate material over, and empty out the Wikia
>  > site as we go. Please do not add new material to the Wikia site.
>  >
>  > Thanks.
>  >
>  > John
>  >
>  > ______________________________________
>  > View message @
>  >
> http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Wiki-choice-tp1986667p1987720.html
> <http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Wiki-choice-tp1986667p1987720.html?by-user=t>
>  > To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email
>  > [hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=1998386&i=1>
>  > To unsubscribe from Power TAC Developers, visit

Re: Wiki choice

achryso
I was almost sure that I had to put them in the Media wiki, as I already
had, but someone deleted the Agent Blueprints from the Main Page, where I
had them saved as you have told us to do. So I thought to ask in order to
be sure not to make any mistakes.

Should I create a new Category in the Main Page of Media Wiki and put my
pages under it?

> [...]
>>  > mediawiki.
>>  >
>>  > So the next step is to migrate material over, and empty out the Wikia
>>  > site as we go. Please do not add new material to the Wikia site.
>>  >
>>  > Thanks.
>>  >
>>  > John
>>  >
>>  > ______________________________________
>>  > View message @
>>  >
>> http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Wiki-choice-tp1986667p1987720.html
>> <http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Wiki-choice-tp1986667p1987720.html?by-user=t>
>>  > To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email
>>  > [hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=1998386&i=1>
>>  > To unsubscribe from Power TAC Developers, visit

Re: Wiki choice

Antonios -

I apologize for the confusion. I'm trying to set up the powertac.org
mediawiki as the "public" wiki for potential participants. I deleted the
link to the blueprints because I thought those were specific to the
development process and belonged in the github wiki. I have not yet
deleted anything from Wikia except for material that I moved to
mediawiki, like the reading list. If I deleted anything of yours that is
no longer on Wikia, remember that mediawiki keeps a history. It's all
there, even if it's not linked.

Your model pages are indeed on the mediawiki site, and I think that's
the right place for them.

http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Wiki-choice-tp1986667p2000192.html
> <http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Wiki-choice-tp1986667p2000192.html?by-user=t>
>  > To start a new topic under Power TAC Developers, email
>  > [hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=2002077&i=1>
>  > To unsubscribe from Power TAC Developers, visit
>  >

> <

Re: Wiki choice

achryso
So, I will create the agent page link on the first page and link my old
pages on it.

Thanks for your help.

Have a nice weekend