Wind and Solar installed capacities

Joran
Hi,

How can I query the Wind and Solar farms' installed capacity?

What I'm trying to figure out is the nominal power genartion according to the nameplate value of the wind turbines and solar panels.

Regards.

Joran

Re: Wind and Solar installed capacities

Joran wrote
How can I query the Wind and Solar farms' installed capacity?

What I'm trying to figure out is the nominal power genartion according to the nameplate value of the wind turbines and solar panels.
The nominal capacity of the wind and solar producers is not in the system, although mean and std dev values are given in the factored-customer config files. Actual capacities are chosen at runtime from specified distributions.

On the other hand, actual production and consumption over the 2-week boot period is given in the boot record. That plus the corresponding weather records should be enough to get you close the nominal values.

At the moment, both solar production models assume fixed panels. One thing I would like to do (for next year, possibly) is change the sunnyhillSolar model to one-axis tracking, which is becoming a best-practice for larger installations. That would give a flatter profile through the daylight hours and higher total output per day.

I know this is not exactly the answer you were hoping for. In the longer term, it might be possible to add "nameplate capacity" to the CustomerInfo record, but that would not be simple for population models that have some variation in capacity among individual members. Also, nameplate capacity for wind-turbines by itself is not very informative. Even for solar you would need additional information such as azimuth and elevation for fixed-mount panels.

Re: Wind and Solar installed capacities

Joran
Hi Dr. John,

Thanks for the info, it is helpful. One additional request, could you mention where to find the "factored-customer config files".

Regards.

Joran

Re: Wind and Solar installed capacities

Joran
Hi,

Also, the bootstrap data for both, the wind and solar producers, is provided in kW or Watts.

With respect to this, the bootstrap data file specifies the following:

<customer id="3412" name="WindmillCoOp-1" population="50" powerType="WIND_PRODUCTION" customerClass="SMALL" controllableKW="0.0" upRegulationKW="0.0" downRegulationKW="0.0" storageCapacity="0.0" multiContracting="true" canNegotiate="false"/>

<customer id="3415" name="WindmillCoOp-2" population="40" powerType="WIND_PRODUCTION" customerClass="SMALL" controllableKW="0.0" upRegulationKW="0.0" downRegulationKW="0.0" storageCapacity="0.0" multiContracting="true" canNegotiate="false"/>

But in the official pdf document: The 2017 Power Trading Agent Competition-ERS-2017-002-LIS. The Windmill Coop is described as a large customer.

"Large customers include industrial and warehouse models, hospitals, and larger retail producers such as Windmill Coop..." Section 7.1, pg 29.

Could you please mention why in a document is SMALL and in other LARGE.

Thanks.

Re: Wind and Solar installed capacities

Hello, Joran -
Joran wrote
Thanks for the info, it is helpful. One additional request, could you mention where to find the "factored-customer config files".
It's in the factored-customer model inside the server. Navigate down to src/main/resources/config. They are a little hard to understand unless you read the code to see how the various tags are interpreted. For example, in the SunnyhillSolar model, the capacity values are specified near the bottom as SunnyhillSolar1Population and SunnyhillSolar2Population. Don't ask me why, I did not write it, but it seems to correlate with a distinction between "individual" vs. "population" models.

Note that these producers are retail customers; they do not trade in the wholesale market. A goal for the future is to add large-scale renewable producer models to the wholesale market, and replace the artificial "cpgenco" model with a full stack to get more realistic merit-order curves and to support experiments that vary the proportion of weather-dependent resources at the wholesale level. If anyone is interested in working with us on this, please let us know.

Re: Wind and Solar installed capacities

Hello, Joran -
Joran wrote
Also, the bootstrap data for both, the wind and solar producers, is provided in kW or Watts.
All customer-side data is in kW or kWh, while wholesale market data is in MW or MWh. I don't believe Watts is used anywhere in Power TAC.
With respect to this, the bootstrap data file specifies the following:

<customer id="3412" name="WindmillCoOp-1" population="50" powerType="WIND_PRODUCTION" customerClass="SMALL" controllableKW="0.0" upRegulationKW="0.0" downRegulationKW="0.0" storageCapacity="0.0" multiContracting="true" canNegotiate="false"/>

<customer id="3415" name="WindmillCoOp-2" population="40" powerType="WIND_PRODUCTION" customerClass="SMALL" controllableKW="0.0" upRegulationKW="0.0" downRegulationKW="0.0" storageCapacity="0.0" multiContracting="true" canNegotiate="false"/>

But in the official pdf document: The 2017 Power Trading Agent Competition-ERS-2017-002-LIS. The Windmill Coop is described as a large customer. ...
Thank you for spotting this problem. I've recorded it as Issue #938. I will try to get this fixed in the next couple of days.

Re: Wind and Solar installed capacities

Joran
Thanks.

[...]

Thanks again for spotting this inconsistency. I just deployed a fix for this, so the WindmillCoop, SunnyhillSolar, MedicalCenter, HextraChemical, and FrostyStorage models are now all LARGE customers.