Working with the server in Eclipse?

I am stuck trying to even see the server code in eclipse. I have installed everything you suggested into my eclipse setup, and I have cloned the server repository locally. Next, I used Eclipse import to make an Eclipse project from the repository. It shows up empty as a Spring project, so I tried importing it as a Roo project, as you suggest (at least I think that's what you suggest). But now it's asking me to "configure Roo support" and I have no clue what I'm supposed to do. I've googled for an explanation, and found lots of stuff about using roo in a command-line environment, but I don't see anything about how to get Eclipse to use it. I was hoping to be able to browse the code without spending a couple of days figuring out this deep and complex web of tools you are using. I'm getting VERY concerned about the learning curve we are subjecting potential researchers to, if I can't make any progress after a couple hours of trying.

Please tell me there's a simpler way to get started.

Thanks, John

Re: Working with the server in Eclipse?

Carsten Block

not much time right now. Some years ago I decided not to use eclipse anymore, mostly because the "plugin-hell" frustrated me a lot. Still, this morning I tried out eclipse on my old ubuntu laptop. Here's what I did:

- Took my ubuntu laptop (running 10.10 maverick)
- Installed Sun / Oracle JDK 1.6
- Downloaded and installed STS version of eclipse  from http://www.springsource.com/developer/sts which already comes bundles with Maven and several useful spring plugins, e.g. to visualize message flows.
- After installation I chose "Install Extensions" on the very start screen and selected EGit (not sure if that plugin is I really needed so this step might be optional)
- Then I clicked File > New > Project ... > Maven > Checkout Maven Projects from SCM
- After "next" I chose git as scm tool and "<a href="git://github.com/powertac/server.git">git://github.com/powertac/server.git" as url. Also I checked "Checkout Head Revision" and "Checkout All projects"
- After "next" I chose "Use Default Workspace" and clicked Finish.

I took some time but after some minutes the projects "accountingService-0.0.1", "common-0.0.1", "core-0.0.1", "distributionUtility-0.0.1", "parent-0.0.1", and "tariffRuleEnforcer-0.0.1" were automatically created for me and ready to work on. Viewing and editing the code was no problem. I'm not sure though how to commit changes to git using eclipse as I always only do that via command line...

Hope that helps?

Also please note that the server itself is not yet ready for an initial release. We're still working to get all the basics. Especially the commons package, which specifies public interfaces, command objects (i.e. beans exchanged between say a broker and a customer module), common enumerations and Builder Classes as helpers for command object construction, is still under active development.

Cheers,
Carsten

Am 04.12.2010 um 18:36 schrieb grampajohn [via Power TAC Developers]:

[...]

View message @ http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/Working-with-the-server-in-Eclipse-tp2019108p2019108.html

Re: Working with the server in Eclipse?

OK, I guess the key was that you have to check out the project as a
maven project. I do have maven installed, and I have egit installed. But
that's not enough. Apparently I am missing the "maven SCM provider" for
git. Here's the error message:

SCM provider is not available for
scm:git:file:///home/jcollins/development/powertac/server/.git

So I tried going directly to github, and I get:

SCM provider is not available for scm:git:github.com:powertac/server.git

So I've been poking around the maven site to try to figure out what's
going on. On the Maven SCM page http://maven.apache.org/scm/ I poke
"Maven SCM Providers" and I see "Maven SCM Git Provider - Parent" and
that page seems to have some "Modules" listed. But after that, I'm stuck.

I am not using the version of Eclipse distributed by Spring, because I
use Eclipse all the time for other projects, I have a number of other
plugins installed, and I cannot have two different installations.
Eclipse does not like to let you run two copies simultaneously. Many of
us are in the same situation. I have installed all the Spring components
into the latest Eclipse, and I can run the Spring demos.

Carsten, I know you want to make progress in Karlsruhe, but you are only
there for a short time. I have people here who want to contribute, and
we need everyone we can get to be involved and productive. At this
point, the development work is isolated at Karlsruhe, and opaque to
everyone else. If you really think the rest of us need to use Maven and
Virgo and all the other pieces, then please, help us get up and running,
and explain to us WHY these pieces are important and worth the steep
learning curve. Otherwise we need to back off to a toolchain that is
more generally usable and accessible.

Thanks.

John

On 12/05/2010 04:54 AM, Carsten Block [via Power TAC Developers] wrote:

> [...]
>> make an Eclipse project from the repository. It shows up empty as a
>> Spring project, so I tried importing it as a Roo project, as you
>> suggest (at least I think that's what you suggest). But now it's
>> asking me to "configure Roo support" and I have no clue what I'm
>> supposed to do. I've googled for an explanation, and found lots of
>> stuff about using roo in a command-line environment, but I don't see
>> anything about how to get Eclipse to use it. I was hoping to be able
>> to browse the code without spending a couple of days figuring out this
>> deep and complex web of tools you are using. I'm getting VERY
>> concerned about the learning curve we are subjecting potential
>> researchers to, if I can't make any progress after a couple hours of
>> trying.
>>
>> Please tell me there's a simpler way to get started.

ddauer
John,

I have Eclipse 3.6 and STS 2.5.1 running at the same time without any problems. I am working on a different workspace on STS than in Eclipse. What exactly are your issues here?

A few words on the "Getting started" instructions on the Wiki since I wrote them: As Carsten mentioned before, the server is heavily in development at the moment. I can see that it might be somewhat confusing to read through this page since it was more or less a documentation for the team in Karlsruhe to help keep track of things during the core development. We will get on providing more clear instructions as soon as the core work is done. This will lead to the following processes being described: What you need to do and know if you want to be involved in core server development or work on a separate module. The latter will be of course the part most people will be interested in, including your students.

As a core server developer, you will of course need to know about Spring Integration, Virgo and possibly Roo. There is enough general reading material out there, so I think it is sufficient for our Wiki to link to these sites instead of just copying them. Also, don't worry, there will be a lot of documentation in the code.

And to be clear, as a module developer, you will *not* need to know about Spring Integration, Spring Roo or Virgo. You will get a Java-interface with lots of documentation that you will have to implement and in the end, you will package your code into a .jar file and put it into some directory and start a (pre-configured) server using an existing script. There will be a simple *separate* maven build process just for your module.

The maven build process you're having trouble with right now is focussed on building the server, all modules and deploying them into a Virgo installation, which saves us much time but does not allow modules to be build separately. Again, we will get that cleared up as soon as we think the server is ready for other people to work on, which will hopefully be very soon.

Cheers,

David

Re: Working with the server in Eclipse?

OK, I installed STS, and I can now load up the server project. It seems
that the only difference between what I already had installed and the
STS version is that the latter has the "Maven SCM" package, which does
not seem to be on the eclipse-maven update site. Very strange.

John