code modification

Sachi
Hi john,

I want to generate my own graphs from the results of running my broker. The data is logged in trace files. But instead of using that data, I am trying to save some data in xml files so that i can generate a graph.

My question is, if i try to use my own java files within the powertac modules, such that data can be logged in seperate xml files, how can i reflect these changed to my configuration. I ran the simulation with these changes, but it does not reflect any of the changes.

Also is there a way I can use graph functions used on the visualizer? I cant seem to find any documentation on it?

Thanks.

Re: code modification

Sachi wrote
I want to generate my own graphs from the results of running my broker. The data is logged in trace files. But instead of using that data, I am trying to save some data in xml files so that i can generate a graph.

My question is, if i try to use my own java files within the powertac modules, such that data can be logged in seperate xml files, how can i reflect these changed to my configuration. I ran the simulation with these changes, but it does not reflect any of the changes.
First of all, I do not understand whether you are talking about modifying the broker or the simulation server. You are free to modify either one, of course, and we have tried hard to make that relatively easy to do. But the sample broker is intended to be modified and extended, while the server might require a bit of learning curve to modify successfully.

With regard to logging, the sample broker has very basic logging functionality, using log4j. I expect most broker developers would want to extend that. The server, on the other hand, generates two logs, a state log and a trace log. The state log is written in a standard format that is intended to be interpreted by analysis tools. This is most likely where you would find the data you need to generate plots. I know that some folks have already written code to parse this file; perhaps they would be willing to share.
Also is there a way I can use graph functions used on the visualizer? I cant seem to find any documentation on it?
You would have to ask Jurica about this. I believe he is out for another week or so, but I invite him to respond to this when he returns.

I hope this helps.

John