duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
Hi,

I think there are some duplications in the bootstrap-data. I found 2 instead of 1 record for several INTERUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION customers, e.g. VillageType4 Village 2 Controllable. Does anyone know whether this is intended?

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel wrote
I think there are some duplications in the bootstrap-data. I found 2 instead of 1 record for several INTERUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION customers, e.g. VillageType4 Village 2 Controllable. Does anyone know whether this is intended?
I do not think this is intended, but I'll have to look carefully, or perhaps Govert will take a look. It's strange that this can happen, because the same XStream code should be used to produce both instances.

I see that Daniel has created issue #660 to track this. Thanks.

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
Hi John,

Please note that what I wrote here is different than and unrelated to issue #660.
The problem here is that bootstrap-data contains two (instead of one) records from the same combination of <PowerType, Customer>. Should I open a new issue in github for that?

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel wrote
Please note that what I wrote here is different than and unrelated to issue #660.
The problem here is that bootstrap-data contains two (instead of one) records from the same combination of <PowerType, Customer>. Should I open a new issue in github for that?
Please feel free to create a new issue. Just make sure it's specific enough to guide diagnosis and resolution. You cannot attach big files to a ticket, but you can certainly post them somewhere and link them. You can stick stuff like this on github if you like, by creating a gist.

Thanks.

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
OK - it's issue #661 now

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel wrote
I think there are some duplications in the bootstrap-data. I found 2 instead of 1 record for several INTERUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION customers, e.g. VillageType4 Village 2 Controllable. Does anyone know whether this is intended?
Thanks for the sharp eye, Daniel.

As I said in the comment on issue #661, this is happening because the default broker tracks usage data by tariff, and some customer populations with controllable loads split their subscriptions between interruptible and non-interruptible tariffs. If you look a bit more closely, you will see that the records are not identical; there are just two records for those customers. You have to sum them to see the total usage.

But perhaps this is not ideal bootstrap data. I can think of three ways to simplify it:

1. Have the default broker not offer an interruptible tariff at all, at least during the bootstrap period.

2. Add tariff information to the bootstrap data.

3. Combine the records by customer in this case for the purpose of generating the bootstrap records.

I am inclined to adopt method 1, but I would like your input on this. It will somewhat change the semantics of the bootstrap record.

Thanks!

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
Hi John,

Thank you very much for your response.
I think the answer somewhat depends on whether customers' consumption behavior can change as a result of moving from one fixed-rate tariff to another fixed-rate tariff. It seems to me that customers'  behavior shouldn't change as a result of it, since fixed tariffs don't incetivize load shifting (unless I am missing something).

But on any case, I think I would still prefer method 1, since:

- While Method 2 complicates bootstrap data, its advantage is not clear, since it would not cover every possible tariff - just a sample of two fixed-rate tariffs.

- Method 3 seems like a more complicate version of 1, and I am not sure what advantage could it have over method 1.

Does it make sense?

Thanks!
Daniel

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel wrote
I think the answer somewhat depends on whether customers' consumption behavior can change as a result of moving from one fixed-rate tariff to another fixed-rate tariff. It seems to me that customers'  behavior shouldn't change as a result of it, since fixed tariffs don't incetivize load shifting (unless I am missing something).
The result for an interruptible tariff can be somewhat different from a non-interruptible tariff if the broker is issuing balancing orders against it, because curtailment leads to shifting. Other than that, they should not differ.

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
This post was updated on .
grampajohn wrote
Daniel wrote
I think the answer somewhat depends on whether customers' consumption behavior can change as a result of moving from one fixed-rate tariff to another fixed-rate tariff. It seems to me that customers'  behavior shouldn't change as a result of it, since fixed tariffs don't incetivize load shifting (unless I am missing something).
The result for an interruptible tariff can be somewhat different from a non-interruptible tariff if the broker is issuing balancing orders against it, because curtailment leads to shifting. Other than that, they should not differ.

John
Thanks. In that case:
If the default broker actually issues balancing-orders and in case shifting behavior vary between different customers, then it might be useful to use option 2, by including both tariff information and issued balancing-orders in the bootstrap data. But I am OK with starting with option1 and defer the enhancement to 2 to a later time.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel wrote
In case the default broker issues balancing-orders and in case shifting behavior vary between different customers, then it might be useful to use option 2, by including both tariff information and issued balancing-orders in the bootstrap data. But I am OK with starting with option1 and defer the enhancement to 2 to a later time.
Even if you had the balancing orders, I don't think you could learn much about the customer's behavior without knowing how much imbalance was requested and used, how imbalanced the broker was, and what the consumption profile would have been without the balancing orders.

Better, I think, to get the initial profile data unpolluted by curtailments, then learn the customer's reaction to curtailments once they are your customers. I think option 1 is the simplest to implement, and should give you the cleanest data.

Does this make sense?

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
I agree - it makes sense.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel wrote
I think there are some duplications in the bootstrap-data. I found 2 instead of 1 record for several INTERUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION customers, e.g. VillageType4 Village 2 Controllable. Does anyone know whether this is intended?
This is fixed by removing the default INTERUPTIBLE_CONSUMPTION tariff. The fix is deployed in the 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT version.

Re: duplication in bootstrap data?

Daniel
OK - Thanks!

Daniel